David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Got the avionics installed and fired up for the 1st time the other day with the magic blue smoke intact. I've been validating the systems before things get closed up and chasing wires becomes, literally, a back breaking affair. Anyways, two questions regarding the PS Engineering 8000B Audio Panel:

- With Pilot and Passenger (not co-pilot) headsets/mics plugged in and ICS set to 'All', should the Pilot and Passenger be able to talk via the intercom?

- The bezel of the 8000B extends a bit beyond the faces of the other avionics. Is it possible to adjust this without moving/adjusting the actual tray?

Thanks,

- With Pilot and Passenger (not co-pilot) headsets/mics plugged in and ICS set to 'All', should the Pilot and Passenger be able to talk via the intercom?

I have the 8000B in my 6A. I always use the "All" setting, and pilot/ passener talk using the intercom, and pilot or passenger can use either comm. I believe it's even set up, so that pilot and passenger can use either comm (two radios) at the same time, but I haven't tried.

Regarding the bezel, there wouldn't be any adjustment, once it's seated in the tray. But combined with my Garmin SL-40, Icom A-210 & King transponder, it doesn't seem to "stand out".....so to speak.

edit: BTW, it's been too long since I wired mine, to remember if it was seperate inputs regarding co-pilot, or the potential of back seat passengers if it were a four or six place airplane. For that matter, I may just be wired as "co-pilot".

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
Hi Larry,

Given that your passenger can use the radios, it sounds like your setup is using the Pilot and Co-Pilot. Keep in mind, this my first experience in this area so I could be way off base. Any ways, I've a little different setup than most in that when I ordered my harness, I asked for a three-place setup: Pilot, Co-Pilot, and a single Passenger. The passenger side has two sets of jacks - Co-Pilot and Passenger. I did this so that I would have more entertainment options for the passenger/co-pilot environment. All the Pilot/Co-Pilot stuff works as advertised. I'm just not very sure about the Passenger part.

Regarding the tray, I was suspicious that once the unit was fully seated in the tray that that was it - just had to ask to be sure. :)

Thanks,

Solution

It occurred to me that I did not have any side-tone from the "Passenger" jack. Turned out that I had soldered the wire intended for the "Ring" terminal to the "Tip" terminal. Everything works great and sounds great!

It occurred to me that I did not have any side-tone from the "Passenger" jack. Turned out that I had soldered the wire intended for the "Ring" terminal to the "Tip" terminal. Everything works great and sounds great!

Hopefully it won't take long for your passenger to find no need for the airline style inflight entertainment. Flying at well over 100mph in something you built in your garage watching the scenery go by has always been more than enough in our experience. Heck, I'm in the shop right now, watching my airplane come back from the mother-in-law's house at 190mph on APRS TV. And I still am entertained :). Build on!

Last edited:
Flying at well over 100mph in something you built in your garage watching the scenery go by has always been more than enough in our experience.

I hear 'ya! I've never understood why folks prefer the aisle seats to the windows seats during commercial flights. To each his/her own.

APRS TV - lol....