johngoodman

Well Known Member
I'm getting some serious intermittent static/noise in my intercom. It disappears if I turn the intercom to iso. It only seems to happen when the co-pilot seat is occupied. I've checked the U174/6 pin plug and connector on that side, but there is no obvious issue.
The noise is sort of like hard squelch - like a blow torch for a second or two. My wife & I flew up to Triple Tree yesterday with no noise, but on the way back, it drove us nuts. We had used each others A20 headsets on the return trip, but that hasn't been a problem in the past.
There is no squelch adjustment on the PSA9000EX, and they don't seem to excited to support it now that it has been discontinued. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
John

Hi John, good news is that we will figure this out and get it resolved. The bad news is that you did not get the support that you deserve, and for that, I'm sorry.

Please let me assure you, while I probably would not use the adverb excited, my team is always happy to support our current and obsolete products. In fact, talking with my customers is the best part of my job.

OK, lets figure this out. With the information you have given me, I can say the noise is not coming from your radios. What I also gather is the noise comes as a result of the copilot's mic plugs being inserted. Could it be possible that what you are hearing is the result of one of the prongs of the jack mounted in your panel being pressed out when the plug is inserted, and in turn, allowing the prong to vibrate and hit some piece of aluminum?

What that would do is make and break quickly the mic bias or audio current, to ground, creating a terrible static!

The other assumption I'm making is that the noise isn't actual background noise of the cockpit.

I will be in the office Monday morning and I hope you will call me, it would mean a lot to me getting this resolved and turn our image with you around.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc
Www.ps-engineering.com

Last edited:
PS Engineering = Top Notch Customer Support

Hi John, good news is that we will figure this out and get it resolved. The bad news is that you did not get the support that you deserve, and for that, I'm sorry.

Please let me assure you, while I probably would not use the adverb excited, my team is always happy to support our current and obsolete products. In fact, talking with my customers is the best part of my job.

OK, lets figure this out. With the information you have given me, I can say the noise is not coming from your radios. What I also gather is the noise comes as a result of the copilot's mic plugs being inserted. Could it be possible that what you are hearing is the result of one of the prongs of the jack mounted in your panel being pressed out when the plug is inserted, and in turn, allowing the prong to vibrate and hit some piece of aluminum?

What that would do is make and break quickly the mic bias or audio current, to ground, creating a terrible static!

The other assumption I'm making is that the noise isn't actual background noise of the cockpit.

I will be in the office Monday morning and I hope you will call me, it would mean a lot to me getting this resolved and turn our image with you around.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc
Www.ps-engineering.com

I just want to say that as a PS Engineering customer ( also a PMA9000EX) this post is a perfect example of the top notch customer service that I've experienced and come to expect from this company. I've only had a couple of very minor issues with my set up but I've always found the company to be extremely helpful and responsive to requests for help.

Skylor
RV-8 N808SJ

I have the 9000 and have had the noise that you are experiencing, I think. It accrued after a couple of hundred Hrs. of flight. The aux jack that is mounted in the panel has to be isolated from ground so I removed the jack from the panel and it worked perfectly. Insulating the plug was a challenge but now we have a perfect working intercom. This info came from PS Engineering. I think the paint originally insulated the jack. Larry

I'm going out this morning to recheck the 6 pin connector. If I can't get rid of it, I'll call Mark.
John

Problem Resoled .

Hi John, I was just wondering if you have determined what the problem was with the static

Hi John, I was just wondering if you have determined what the problem was with the static

It's getting more complicated - We have discovered that it depends on which headset is on which side. After working out that it's a possible headset issue (two A20s), we found that it comes back after a couple of hours of flight, even with the proper headset arrangement.
So, the source is still elusive.

John

OK, It's getting hard to narrow it down. At first, I thought it was the headsets - the noise goes away if we use our own headsets. Swapping them creates the problem. But, it's now starting to rear it's ugly head after a couple of hours of flight, regardless of which headset is on which side.
I have regular jack pin adapters for the ANR fittings on the headset, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. This sort of rules out a particular jack or ANR fitting. However, I had 4 passengers the other day and the two in the rear could hear, but not talk. We all heard the static. Could an unused jack be the culprit?

There is another problem that might be the issue - I frequently get no intercom on start up, but cycling the 9000EX off, then on, fixes it. It has happened in flight, but is rare. If there was a faulty jack somewhere, would the 9000EX shut down the intercom?

John