romirez

Hi folks,

I experienced a complete engine failure in my RV7 a few weeks ago, due to fuel system obstruction, and figured I'd share the experience with the community in case it helps prevents similar incidents. Luckily, the failure happened on downwind, so I was able to deadstick it to the runway with no damage to myself or the airplane. Once on the ground, with the help of a local mechanic, we quickly identified the cause: a piece of proseal separated from one of the tanks, and completely plugged up the inlet of my Red Cube fuel flow transducer, resulting in 0 fuel flow to the engine.

The bit of proseal in question, recovered out of the Red Cube, with a mm scale. It is almost exactly 3mm in diameter, same as the Red Cube flow inlet. It's possible it has been banging around the fuel lines for a while to achieve this very round shape and be able to cause the failure
PXL_20240429_162225475.jpg

Clearly, this is a design flaw with the plane's fuel system:
1. It has the aerobatic flop tube pickups in both tanks, so no mesh / screen in the tank (normal pickups possibly could have caught this).
2. From the tanks, fuel goes to an andair fuel selector valve, then into the redcube (in the footwell tunnel), then into the electric boost pump, and only then into a gascolator on the other side of the firewall, so there is a ~3mm narrowing of the fuel line before the first real filter.

I am not the builder of this airplane, and bought it already flying a little over a year ago with 100hr flown on it, and then added another 100hr before this failure. The builder says that the fuel system was designed and executed by a build-assist shop (in South Africa, now appears to be defunct), who apparently didn't consider the fact that there is a obstruction failure mode (which has, turns out, caused accidents in the past), or possibly were unaware of the flop tubes and expected the pickup mesh to act as the filter (still probably not the best idea). I myself also thought I had normal pickups until I started digging into the fuel system - the plane has a carburated O360, so sustained inverted flight is not really possible - there is no reason for the flop tubes. Turns out that the builder bought the kit partially complete (including completed and sealed tanks) and finished it - the flop tubes were installed by the original kit owner, who I guess was planning on a different engine.

I have added the TS Flightlines wing root fuel filters to prevent a repeat and am back to flying the airplane, but I would be lying if it didn't cause me to think long and hard about what other possible design issues might be hiding somewhere that are hard to identify on a prebuy / conditional inspection!

cause me to think long and hard about what other possible design issues might be hiding somewhere that are hard to identify on a prebuy / conditional inspection!
Extremely good advice. Very happy you got on the ground safely. Any changes in the way the fuel system is done that differ from the Van's recommendations should have a very through risk analysis.

Hi folks,

I experienced a complete engine failure in my RV7 a few weeks ago, due to fuel system obstruction, and figured I'd share the experience with the community in case it helps prevents similar incidents. Luckily, the failure happened on downwind, so I was able to deadstick it to the runway with no damage to myself or the airplane. Once on the ground, with the help of a local mechanic, we quickly identified the cause: a piece of proseal separated from one of the tanks, and completely plugged up the inlet of my Red Cube fuel flow transducer, resulting in 0 fuel flow to the engine.

The bit of proseal in question, recovered out of the Red Cube, with a mm scale. It is almost exactly 3mm in diameter, same as the Red Cube flow inlet. It's possible it has been banging around the fuel lines for a while to achieve this very round shape and be able to cause the failure
View attachment 63613

Clearly, this is a design flaw with the plane's fuel system:
1. It has the aerobatic flop tube pickups in both tanks, so no mesh / screen in the tank (normal pickups possibly could have caught this).
2. From the tanks, fuel goes to an andair fuel selector valve, then into the redcube (in the footwell tunnel), then into the electric boost pump, and only then into a gascolator on the other side of the firewall, so there is a ~3mm narrowing of the fuel line before the first real filter.

I am not the builder of this airplane, and bought it already flying a little over a year ago with 100hr flown on it, and then added another 100hr before this failure. The builder says that the fuel system was designed and executed by a build-assist shop (in South Africa, now appears to be defunct), who apparently didn't consider the fact that there is a obstruction failure mode (which has, turns out, caused accidents in the past), or possibly were unaware of the flop tubes and expected the pickup mesh to act as the filter (still probably not the best idea). I myself also thought I had normal pickups until I started digging into the fuel system - the plane has a carburated O360, so sustained inverted flight is not really possible - there is no reason for the flop tubes. Turns out that the builder bought the kit partially complete (including completed and sealed tanks) and finished it - the flop tubes were installed by the original kit owner, who I guess was planning on a different engine.

I have added the TS Flightlines wing root fuel filters to prevent a repeat and am back to flying the airplane, but I would be lying if it didn't cause me to think long and hard about what other possible design issues might be hiding somewhere that are hard to identify on a prebuy / conditional inspection!
It is very lucky that you were downwind when it happened and not somewhere inhospitable.
I'm surprised that the red cube has such a small orifice in comparison to the fuel line and also that a spherical piece of sealant could be loose in the fuel tank. I wonder what other debris may be in the tanks and/or the fuel lines and also in the old gascolator screen?

It is very lucky that you were downwind when it happened and not somewhere inhospitable.
I'm surprised that the red cube has such a small orifice in comparison to the fuel line and also that a spherical piece of sealant could be loose in the fuel tank. I wonder what other debris may be in the tanks and/or the fuel lines and also in the old gascolator screen?
Imagine the lifeblood of your fuel system passing through a very small orifice. Makes sense, to me anyway, to filter fuel as it comes out of the tanks. YES---it does complicate the system some, but it also gives you some redundancy. In the ops case---there should have been a filter somewhere between the selector valve and the boost pump, carbureted or not. ANY kind of real screen would have caught a 3mm piece of debris, unless it was a chicken wire screen.

Thanks for posting this. Information is power and the more that gets shared the better.

Just so you know, this wouldn't have happened if the red cube had been installed per the manufacturer's instructions.

They specifically say that the red cube should be installed downstream of all fuel pumps. The stated reason is to prevent fluctuating indications, but if you do it that way, it also guarantees that crud like this will get caught in the filters/gascolator before it makes it way into the cube. The design of the cube is such that it won't stop the fuel flow if it's seized up internally, but no promises against clogging like you got in this situation.

Here's a partial cut and paste.

Mechanical Interface:
If the aircraft has a fuel pump(s), the flow transducer MUST be installed downstream of the last fuel pump.
Installing the transducer upstream of the fuel pump(s) can cause vapor lock and jumpy/inaccurate readings.
The Red Cube FT-60 has 1/4" NPT ports. Apply thread sealant to fittings, assemble and torque fittings to
8-10 ft. Lbs., DO NOT EXCEED a torque of 12 ft. Lbs. The Red Cube FT-60 should NOT be installed with the wires pointing DOWN (the best situation is with wires pointing UP). Also, the fuel line on the outlet port should not drop down after exiting the transducer. Both of these configurations can trap bubbles in the transducer causing jumpy readings. The inlet port, outlet port and flow direction are marked on the top of the Red Cube FT-60.

Glad you landed safely and got it sorted. Thanks again for sharing

My fuel flow is located AFTER the engine driven fuel pump. Goes through 2 filters to get there first. Glad everything worked out

There's another lesson here, Terry alluded to it; Van's Engineering & Proto shop has spent a ton of time and $$$ developing the aircraft kit and its systems. When you are looking to buy and you've found "that perfect RV", compare it to the Van's prototype and other flying examples -- then ask "why is this [insert thing] different?"

The answer may just save your life, if not $$$ down the road.

Good lesson learned, and shared for others.
That “blob” is about the right size and shape from what forms on the end of the access plate screws.
I’m surprised flop tubes don’t have a screen of some sort but even the ones Spruce sells, and others, simply have large slots or holes in the brass weight that would easily pass this size of contaminate.

As already mentioned, good lesson shared! The incorrect placement of the Red Cube was the main issue. The gascolator would have prevented the blob from getting to the Cube if it had been placed as per manufacturer instructions, as long as it got through the boost pump first. Not mentioned is the fact that the boost pump, if it is a Facet pump, requires a filter prior to the pump. I installed filters in each wing root of my carbed 7 for this reason, as well as to keep fuel out of the cabin when cleaning them.

View attachment 63613

That's about right. Some time back I measured the inlet orifice at 9/64", or about 3.5mm. Nothing wrong with it, but it does need a pre-filter.

Inlet.jpg

+1 for moving your cube. Safety aside, it just flat works better installed downstream of all the pumps.

A bit of an update: after flying for ~3 hours with the filters, I inspected the screens and found one more piece of proseal in there, not quite as spherical but similar in shape - looks like it came off of a rivet head. So now there have been 2 of these that have broken loose within a relatively short time period, and I'm wondering if this is indicative of some kind of issue with the tank sealing? I tried draining the fuel and sticking a boroscope in the tanks, but couldn't observe anything that looked obviously out of place, and I'm unsure whether this merits a more thorough investigation / actions (and what is there to do, beyond pulling the tanks and re-sealing)

PXL_20240602_205629535.jpg

PXL_20240602_205657043.jpg

Thanks for reminding me to install wing root pre-filters. In the 17 years my -6 has been flying, I've had the Airtex E2315 boost pump lock up a few times, presumably due to FOD. First time it happened, I replaced the pump (10 years ago?). The new pump also locks up occasionally and (so far) can be unstuck by cycling power a few times to dislodge whatever is in it. Since there's a check valve in parallel with the boost pump, I'm not overly concerned about an engine-out scenario, but it needs to be fixed. The fuel filter is directly downstream of the boost pump, so the dislodged debris won't harm anything downstream.

A bit of an update: after flying for ~3 hours with the filters, I inspected the screens and found one more piece of proseal in there, not quite as spherical but similar in shape - looks like it came off of a rivet head. So now there have been 2 of these that have broken loose within a relatively short time period, and I'm wondering if this is indicative of some kind of issue with the tank sealing? I tried draining the fuel and sticking a boroscope in the tanks, but couldn't observe anything that looked obviously out of place, and I'm unsure whether this merits a more thorough investigation / actions (and what is there to do, beyond pulling the tanks and re-sealing)

View attachment 64092
View attachment 64093
Now that you have the wing root filters installed your system is protected. I would not worry about the bits coming out of the tank unless you have an actual leak. The bits may be coming from the ends of the enclosed bind rivets used on the Z brackets which get dipped in PRC on installation...just a guess...in which case nothing to worry about. Just keep cleaning the filters out occasionally and keep an eye out for a leak. FWIW.

I’d guess the builder never did a decent flush of the tanks. No reason you cannot do it now.

Add 10-15 gallons of 100LL to each tank. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine driven fuel pump. Connect a WalMart clear plastic inline filter to the fuel line, the other end of the filter to five gallon gas cans via standard autostore fuel line. Turn on the boost pump and pump the tank dry, then sump the tank. Any junk, then repeat as needed. Clean the airplane’s installer fuel filter(s).

Carl

I’d guess the builder never did a decent flush of the tanks. No reason you cannot do it now.

Add 10-15 gallons of 100LL to each tank. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine driven fuel pump. Connect a WalMart clear plastic inline filter to the fuel line, the other end of the filter to five gallon gas cans via standard autostore fuel line. Turn on the boost pump and pump the tank dry, then sump the tank. Any junk, then repeat as needed. Clean the airplane’s installer fuel filter(s).

Carl
The OP stated that there is a gascolator on the firewall (normally upstream of the mechanical fuel pump). If the gascolator has a screen then it will trap junk before it gets to the temporary filter, so the gascolator screen should also be cleaned afterwards. Alternatively, the temporary filter could be fitted before the gascolator.
I think the gascolator screen should be checked anyway for any particles that might have passed through the cube previously.

I've inspected the gascolator screen immediately after the failure, and once more just now at the same time as checking the wing root screens, and it has been clear both times - so I don't think there has been other junk prior to these bigger pieces.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone - I'll keep monitoring the filters to see what else is going to come out of the tanks and not do anything for now unless something starts leaking!