N674P

Well Known Member
Your advice, please: Next step is to rivet ribs into tank skins. Before I do, is there anything I should do first to allow for a fuel return line?
I currently don't plan on fuel injection, but just in case... Also, a diesel motor would require one, wouldn't it? If diesel becomes a reasonable option, I'll probably go that route.
So what do I need to do?
Thanks in advance-

Steal it!

Johnny, like you, I'm not yet certain whether I'll need return lines. But I went ahead and made provision for them. I blatantly copied the set-up shown in the Eggenfellner installation manual:

http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/fuel.htm

About halfway down the page is this link to the diagram and parts list I used:

http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/tank_page1.pdf

It's a good, clean installation, and if you don't ultimately need a return line, it's a simple matter to just cap off the fitting on the tank.

Thanks, Jan Eggenfellner and Gary Newsted!

Last edited:
Johnny

I did this in reverse!!!!!!!Had to put the fuel return line external.I ran it from the out board rib aft turned 90 degrees and ran it through the z brackets inboard. If I were thinking straight the fuel return line could have run directly to the tanks. Get advice from those who have done this as I didn't do it this way and would want advice from those that have done it the easy way.

Good Luck

Frank @ sgu and slc......wiring /fiberglassing/plus.......RV7A

Thanks!
Should I assume the Eggenfellner installation is pretty standard - that the return line should spill into the second bay, low and aft?
I want to put the fitting in the rib rather than the access plate, but have no idea what it would line up with (interfere with?) on the fuselage. Putting it low and aft seems most efficient on the tank side, but would that run it too close to the spar, interfering with center section or spar bolts? Where should I run it?

Johnny,

Here is a link to www.rivetbangers.com where I detailed the process of installing mine.

Thread on Rivetbangers

I can be found either here or there for questions. I think it is an excellent option to keep alternatives available as engine technology progresses. I think that I may just return fuel to say, the right tank and perform takeoffs from the right tank only when full so as to keep the plumbing to a minimum and just block off the left one for the time being.

:) CJ

Thanks all for the replies - and Captain John for the link to rivetbangers! After hemming and hawing, since I don't know if I'll ever need a return line I decided to keep it light and simple - no provision. If the time comes when the tanks need retrofitting, I'll know what needs to be done. Guessing at it now will add weight, and might turn out to be wrong anyhow.
But thanks for entertaining my questions!