I used Van's UHMW tape on the flap leading edge, and under the wing skin. Wax it with the aircraft.................. works just fine.

I also did the UHMW tape on the leading edge. Been very happy with it, but nw after almost five years, it is ready for replacement - pretty good service for somethign that takes as much wear as it does. It's now crackign and actually peeling a bit - if I can find the time, I'll pull the flaps and change it at some point.

"Mikey" (the RV-6) has stainless tape on the leading edge - holding up very well.

Paul

Teflon tape

I put teflon tape, from Wicks, on the under side of the trailing edge of the wing skin where it overlaps the flap.
works great and nothing shows on the flap skin.
I also used stainless steel tape on the flap of my RV6, which also worked great. That is the way VAN's instructed in the plans. You can get that from JC Whitney. (Careful using it since it is sharp as a razor blade.)

Tape

I too was wondering this. I have had friends put tape on the underside of the wing skin where the flap rubs (as Steve mentioned), and they like it a lot. I decided to try some 3M tape from Flyboy Access ( http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=256 ). After chatting with Vince, this made sense to me as he has sold it to a lot of people for this purpose and has had no problems. He said it won't discolor, goes on very nice and is very durable. Dave

I used the same process as did Steve F. Put clear UHMW tape on the underside of the wing skin trailing edge on my 9a back in 2006, it does not show, and no marks on the flap leading edge. We did the same thing to my brothers 7a and have had the same very good results.

Cheers,

db

Last edited:
No need to pull the flaps, just disconnect the link and swing it down. I used a clip board to tuck the flap back in.

I also had to remove the stainless tape............. The glue was almost impossible to remove.

I've used the tape myself, but have seen a couple done in .020 stainless and it really looks good for a long long time. More work though.