DB1033

I just recieved my pitot mast from SafeAir today. I need some advice on protecting bare Steel.

What product/s should I clean the steel with? What should I coat it with after cleaning to not only protect it from the elements but also provide a barrier between the aluminum and the steel.

I'll eventually be painting the mast to match the color of the aircraft exterior...so I don't want to do a finish coat yet.

Thanks

Just like aluminum, it needs to be prepped and primed accordingly. I sandblasted mine and coated it with DuPont VariPrime.

Essentially, it needs to be cleaned, profiled, cleaned again. If you don't have a sandblaster, scuff it with 180 grit sandpaper. Once that is done, most any primer suitable for steel is fine.

;) CJ

Etchant

Captain_John said:
Just like aluminum, it needs to be prepped and primed accordingly. I sandblasted mine and coated it with DuPont VariPrime.

Essentially, it needs to be cleaned, profiled, cleaned again. If you don't have a sandblaster, scuff it with 180 grit sandpaper. Once that is done, most any primer suitable for steel is fine.

;) CJ

"Scuffing" may not be enough. The steel should be sanded with the 180 paper untill it is completely shiny. What you don't want is a scuffed surface and any small (almost microscopic) corrosion pits to remain.

This is why an echant (like using Alum Prep on aluminum) is a good idea on steel, the chemical will penetrate all of the pits and neutralize any corrosion.

I would use Metal Prep #79 - available from Aircraft Spruce, and probably your local auto paint store.

Data sheet here...

http://www.aerospace.henkel.com/Images/Datasheet_PDF/hst_metalprep_79.pdf

gil in Tucson

Last edited: