Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Hi all,

Since I still haven't developed a clear vision of what my -8's paint scheme is going to look like, I guess I will be flying for around for several more months (at least!) all silver and gray. Today, I noticed some very tiny white spots on my leading edges, and when I wiped them off, they seemed suspiciciously like fine salt-air corrosion! Not too surprising, since we're living on the coast, but I was expecting the Alclad to be sufficient protection until priming and painting.

So for you bare aluminum guys out there - is there anything I should be applying to the exterior of the arframe between now and when I paint - that WON"T eventually drive the paint shop nuts? this is kind of unexpected...

Paul

For whatever it's worth, the alclad is simply a sacrificial corrosion layer. It is designed to the corrosion can eat away at it without adversely affecting the overall strength. As far as your actual question, I don't know, but don't use ACF50 or CorrosionX, they will remain with your airplane for years, making it nearly impossible to paint.

Paul,
You asked what to do and everyone tells you what NOT to do. I'll add to the what not to dos. Do not prime the surfaces until you are ready to paint. Many people think that primer protects the surface. Primer is porous to aid paint adhesion. If primer is there without paint, it will retain mosture. Best thing to do is nothing! The corrosion you are experiencing is minimal and shouldn't hurt anything for the time period you are talking about.
Mel...DAR

Thanks all! I'll just let it all be. I definitely don't want to contaminate the surface before painting - just thought it was odd that I was getting corrosion that quickly on the Alclad layer.

Hope you're retirement is going well Mel! I just put the 26th hour on the plane - four weeks after first flight!

By the way...starting to think about a paint shop - I got a name from someone about a painter up in teh DFW area - Grady Oneal - does any one have contact info for him?

Paul

NOn alclad aluminum on RV9

I have a related question, though it may only be applicable to the RV9, I'm not sure.

The leading edges of the flaps and ailerons are not alclad, but bare aluminum. (As far as I can tell they are the only skins on the 9 that are not alclad). Why I don't know, but do these require any special attention? What do people do who are flying bare or polished and have no plans to paint?

Thanks.

Polishing actually helps prevent corrosion when properly maintained. If you have no plans to paint you can either polish it or prime and paint them silver (to match the alclad. Neither one seems that attractive an option to me. I think painting is really worth it if you plan to keep the plane.

Paint Shop

Paul,
I had my -8 painted by Grady O'Neal at 52F and have been very happy with the job. Grady uses Jet Glo and some mil spec primer that creates a really high gloss durable finish. Contact him at (817) 430-2078 or www.glocustom.com. My paint is about 18 months old and if you want to check it out I'll be glad to meet you at my hangar at T67 (FT. Worth Hicks). You can see it in Doug Reeves air-to-air portfolio also. Look for the white RV8 with the dark blue rudder - N88GK
Jerry K

Thanks Jerry!

Thanks for the contact info and endorsement - hope I get a chance to get up there and check out some airplanes when my 40 hours is done....28.9 complete as of this afternoon!

Paul

Paul,
While you are up here, you might check out George Orndorff's new -7A. Grady just finished painting it a few weeks ago, and it is beautiful. George is based at "Propwash" airport (16XS), just north of Alliance (AFW). His place is about midfield on the east side. And while you are at it stop in to see us at ShortStop.
Mel...DAR

Check this stuff out

If you DON'T plan on painting your plane, check this stuff out....

http://www.aircraftfinishing.com/evershield.htm

It's pricey...$1000 bucks a gallon. I think one gallon can do your whole plane, though.....you may even get away with the quart size. Whatever it is, it's cheaper than any paint job...even a do it yourself.

The claims seem fantastic, but they're not. The stuff just dries to a hard, clear ceramic coating. No voodoo here :)

Give these guys a call. I've used their Primer/Sealer product and they're really pleasant to work with. I'm sure they wouldn't mind spending some time explaining the whole system, application, etc etc etc.