Vince Koehn

Well Known Member
Okay so I fixed a leak in one of my fuel tanks and got frustrated with the latex gloves and took them off....not a good decision. I now have two very black hands stained from the proseal. I have tried everything to get the stuff off my hands from MEK to Acetone. Now I know you are not supposed to get MEK on your skin......yada, yada, yada so I don't want a sermon on how chemicals will give you cancer, ingrown toe nails, loss of hair, or a protruding adams apple. All I want to know is how do you get proseal off your skin?

N819VK said:
Okay so I fixed a leak in one of my fuel tanks and got frustrated with the latex gloves and took them off....not a good decision. I now have two very black hands stained from the proseal. I have tried everything to get the stuff off my hands from MEK to Acetone. Now I know you are not supposed to get MEK on your skin......yada, yada, yada so I don't want a sermon on how chemicals will give you cancer, ingrown toe nails, loss of hair, or a protruding adams apple. All I want to know is how do you get proseal off your skin?
I think maybe a good sunburn and peel might do it. :)

-mike

N819VK said:

Hi Vince:

I got a little Pro Seal on my arm and coulndn't get it off at all. I used Simple Green hand cleaner (sort of a pumice-like substance) and it worked very well...just had to scrub for 10 minutes or so. Hope that helps.

N819VK said:
............. I now have two very black hands stained from the proseal. I have tried everything to get the stuff off my hands from MEK to Acetone..............All I want to know is how do you get proseal off your skin?

You have experienced a very small taste of what thousands of aircraft production workers endure endlessly. You can always tell from the hopelessly proseal stained shirts and blouses walking through the factory gates. The only sure way to remove proseal completely from the skin and from under the nails is to take a two week vacation. When you work with sealer for a living, you learn to live with it. When you find you just have to take the latex gloves off while working with proseal, it helps to massage some barrier creme into the hands first.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla" 58 hours
RV-8A empennage