wirejock

Well Known Member
Question
I'm using Rick's Faying surface method to assemble the tanks.
so far it's going well. I'm ready to rivet the inboard and outboard ribs now and have a question.

Did anyone encapsulate the shop heads on the inboard, outboard and baffle rivets?
They are not inside the tank but could possibly weep if fuel got past the fillet.
Other than a bit more weight I can't see any harm in sealing them.

I covered every single shop head, inside and out. Figured it wouldn't hurt, and it only takes a couple minutes. Just be sure to put down some wax paper on your spar and set the tank into position when the sealant is still somewhat pliable--you don't want it interfering with the beams!

First three tanks have passed the water manometer leak check; fourth tank will (finally!) be getting the baffle soon.

Agreed. I may lose a gallon of capacity to extra pro-seal, but I'll be damned if it'll leak. Passed all the leak tests, so I'm pretty hopeful....

Question
I'm using Rick's Faying surface method to assemble the tanks.
so far it's going well. I'm ready to rivet the inboard and outboard ribs now and have a question.

Did anyone encapsulate the shop heads on the inboard, outboard and baffle rivets?
They are not inside the tank but could possibly weep if fuel got past the fillet.
Other than a bit more weight I can't see any harm in sealing them.

No harm sealing them but you can lay down a nice fillet seal inside so there should be absolutely no way it should leak from the rivets.

You must seal the shop heads inside so fuel can't leak down thru the rivet shank, different leak path than the external rivets.

I covered every single shop head, inside and out. Figured it wouldn't hurt, and it only takes a couple minutes. Just be sure to put down some wax paper on your spar and set the tank into position when the sealant is still somewhat pliable--you don't want it interfering with the beams!

First three tanks have passed the water manometer leak check; fourth tank will (finally!) be getting the baffle soon.

You know you can't go wrong when 2 ramblin' wrecks agree...go jackets!

Last edited: