RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Proseal Initiation

Hi Guys,

Ok I had my ProSeal initiation today..:eek: ...Yuck and sticky..:D..I finished the stiffeners on both tanks..must have used 50 vinyl gloves...:p..I am pretty pleased with myself, since I only had the manual and what I read about the process on the internet, nobody to actually show me.:eek:

A Couple of queries:
I did my tank stiffeners today, I used rivet tape (scotch magic tape) and back riveted them. When I pulled the rivet tape off, some of the bleed through proseal came of with it. So I decided to leave it for a while...

1) How long should I leave the tape on, before removing it? (Until the proseal sets?)
2) How long should I wait before I clean the proseal around the dimpled rivet heads?
3) Should one clean & remove all signs of the proseal around the dimpled rivet head or leave some to seal?

Any other tips would help me?

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards,
Rudi

Last edited:
Rudi--
I removed the tape immediately and wiped away the excess. Left the ring, or halo, of proseal around the rivet head (didn't try to dig it out and wouldn't recommend doing so). Two tanks and no leaking rivets were the result, FWIW.
Good luck.

Proseal initiation

I would take the tape off immediately because once the sealant dries it may prove difficult. Clean the proseal off the outside of the tank while it is still easy. If you have adequately sealed your stiffeners there shoud be no need to leave any proseal on the rivet head to further seal the tank. And yes you will go through a lot of gloves and if you're like me you'll be wearing some proseal for about a week until it wears off. Have fun with it though and don't scrimp on the sealant especially around the rear baffle. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Jim.

Got to run!!!

Thanks Guys for the quick response...Means I got to quickly run back into the garage to pull that rivet tape off and clean the proseal halo's...cheers..:eek: !

Clean-up

Rudi,

Yes, pull the tape immediately. Mop up any splotches, otherwise it will migrate everywhere. I clean away any traces around the rivet head because paint isn't going to stick to tank sealant, and all the sealing is done inside, anyway. Toluene is the proper thinner; with it don't worry about chemically altering the remaining goo, it will set up just fine (but it does take days, and days, and days to fully cure). Consider keeping a zillion cotton swabs and little squares of paper towel handy. When you start riveting ribs, dip them in toluene and clean as you go to limit contamination.

John Siebold

Regarding paint not sticking to sealant........Aux contraire, mon amis! (pardon my French!) That is one of the positive attributes of proseal.

As was stated in an earlier post, take off the tape, wipe off any excess but do not remove the little halo of sealant from around your rivets. That will act as the final line of defense against a leak by being sort of a gasket.

When the time comes, paint away. Paint will indeed adhere to proseal. I think the problems with paint not sticking to silicone might have been confused here. Do NOT use silicone where you intend to paint.

Regards,