RV74ME

Well Known Member
Getting close on the fuel tanks and was looking to buy pro-seal...

Van's price is $41/quart, compared to Spruce at $161/quart.

Are these the same? Is there an advantage to one over the other?

For my fuel tanks, I used less than 1 pint per tank. I would think 1 quart is way to much. It also has a shelf life so unless you have a need for the quart size, Don't do it.

I would suggest you do get the qt., even if it is more than is needed for the fuel tank job.

Put the excess in the freezer, and it will keep for a long time.

You will find other places it is useful such as bonding on the NACA vents, bonding on rudder cable fairings, making paintable fillets at various locations on the airframe, etc.

Buying the "generic" from Spruce cuts the price to about $50 ish per pint, last I checked. But Van's has the best deal running, which I wish I'd known before building 4 tanks..

Ok, thanks but are they essentially the same thing?

If they meet this spec. they are all good - the Spruce ones do

AMS-S-8802

"dash" numbers after he spec give differing viscosities and working times.

Vans stuff meets the same spec in the usual "-B2" version, the version usually used for fuel tanks.

I have found it useful to also buy some type A sealant, which is thinner, for dotting rivets and edges via a syringe. Also some "access hatch" sealant for removable hatches.

I think I probably got them from Skygeek.com.

Dave

Flamaster

perfect! Thank you guys. Can't wait to get dirty. Need new clothes anyway
:)

Vans stuff is fine. It's Flamemaster brand.
Buy one quart to start then if it looks close, buy another later.
Sealant is cheap. Use it.
My 7 tanks took a tad more than one quart.
Study the blogs and forums for tips and tricks.
Watch those rear baffle corners.

If you decide to buy some proseal from a source other than vans, research the set up time listed also. Tried some B1/2 once (not for fuel tanks) and it set up way to quick! That was a 30 minute set up vs the 2 hour set up that vans sells.

If you are extremely organized, you could build the tanks in 1/4 the time😳😳.

One other data point to think about concerning your thoughts on buying just what you need and no more. As Mike said, you will find plenty of uses for it after the tanks. It does last a long time if you do keep it in the freezer. The colder the better. Also, I can tell you from my experience, one thing I can add is that if you think you have used enough on a rivet, fillet, corner, whatever; well, give it some more.

Many builders, ok stating this as a guilty party, think they can use minimal amounts in order to save weight. Building light is an admirable goal but one must know the times to shave some weight and times not to do so. Applying tank sealant is NOT one of those times. Use the sealant liberally on your tank. Speaking from multiple years of chasing leaks in my tanks I can say if you do this you will have little chance of leaks later on.

When you order, demand fresh stock since the shelf life is only 9 months. I ordered some from a company advertising "fresh stock" and got some with less than 2 months remaining on the shelf life. It was returned after questioning them as to what they consider fresh stock.