szicree

Well Known Member
The instructions make no mention of it, but did anybody use any sealant between baffles and seal material?

ProSeal is cannot stand up to the heat

That's why (almost) everyone uses RTV. You can get the high temp stuff from Pep Boys.

I think it's funny that people OBSESS about little tiny gaps here and there, and they fill every nook & cranny with RTV.

But then take a look at their HEAT AIR INTAKE. It's a 2" GAPING hole in the baffles with air flowing constantly through the heat muff, whether cabin heat is on or off. What a huge waste of engine cooling air!

Makes you wonder why those same folks obsess about little tiny gaps when they don't obsess about the 2" round hole!!!

Obsessing

I agree it is obsessing. Dan, I think it is because everyone goes overboard on the cooling talks - which mostly have to do with oil coolers, but baffle seals are largely about CHT's. (aside from respectful nods to the John Hufts and Bob Axsom's in their quest for speed)

But for regular RV drivers not pushing the envelope - yes, it is obsessing. Heck, I can't even get my CHT's above 300 unless I am climbing and even then maybe 325F on a hot day. Most of the time I am running at about 275F. You don't need to worry about every little gap, but we do need to do your best to seal against the engine case where you can and the baffle seals if installed correctly shouldn't have any appreciable pucker/gap.

Look under the cowl of any Piper, Cessna or Mooney and you will find out how unconerned they are with the small gaps. We are tightly cowled, but we also have a speed advantage that we are getting 200 mph air passing thru as opposed to 110 mph in the Cessna. Where we can suffer is in low speed, but that means lower heat at lower RPM and MAP.

I agree, no gaps is better, but there is "nice to have" and there is "have to have". If it makes you feel better, then yes RTV is the ticket - no need to find more reasons to work with the nasty Proseal now! ;)