Ron B.

Well Known Member
Applied proseal yesterday, expecting it to be semi hard today, but it is like gum. Does it cure fairly hard? It is a lot thicker than when applied and you can push your finger in the access and it does not stick to it. My concern is I plan to rivet the trailing edges tomorrow and don't want to remove the clecos if it is not cured. I've kept the temp. over 60 deg. How does one tell when it's ready to work on? I know leave it longer , but I would like to work on it tomorrow. I'm aware it takes two days by the instructions but would like a little more feedback.
Thanks Ron

Ron, sorry, there is no absolute answer. It all depends, temp, humidity and as far as I can tell how you cross your fingers! It will cure, but variables like above and how well you mixed the ratios will make it a highly variable. Hang tough, it will cure. Do a search, much written about this in the past.

Larry

One day and it doesn't stick? You're doing good! I set some this winter that took a couple weeks to harden. In the end, It'll be like a soft rubber. Give it a couple days, you're doin' fine.

In all cases, it was at least 5 days in my very dry, low-humidity climate. Don't rush it. If it's not cured and you try to rivet then you might as well just have avoided the proseal step in the first place. Hang tough.

I was told by a military airplane mechanic to leave the leftover proseal out in the same location as the parts you worked on. That way you can check the leftover proseal and know exactly when it is cured. It was good advice. As far as the how long. I waited at least 14 days after the tanks were completed prior to leak checking them. That is just my experience.

Thanks guys
Went out this morning and checked the tip of the 3 oz. tube of sealant and it pulled right out. It was just like an o-ring, so I riveted the trailing edge of one of our elevator. Turned out good as far as I can tell. The bonded edge stayed glued troughout the riveting operation. After lunch I tackel the second one. RV-10.
Ron