digidocs

Well Known Member
Has anyone used proseal with ABS plastic successfully? I'd like to make a few non-structural bonds between some ABS parts and aluminum.

Some of the boat websites indicate that polysulfides (like proseal) will attack ABS? I'm curious if anyone has seen this happen with CS 3204 or similar.

Proseal is often used to attach the NACA vents, but I'm not sure what kind of plastic they're made from.

Thanks,
David

A lot of builders install the molded NACA vent housings to the fuselage with tank sealant (myself included). They are made with ABS.

I would research some structural adhesives in the auto industury. Bonding panels (often ABS) with adhesive is somewhat common and there are adhesives made for the purpose. I don't know if they are polysulfide based, but I doubt it as I though they are most regarded for there sealing ability in addition to strength. I would guess most are catalyzed (2 part)

Larry

+1

A lot of builders install the molded NACA vent housings to the fuselage with tank sealant (myself included). They are made with ABS.

Ditto. I bonded all three of my NACA vents to the fuse on my RV-10 and they haven't budged since I glued them in almost 4 years ago.