pvalovich

Well Known Member
-8A QB N192NM so I haven't had the fun assembling the tanks. However, it is time to install the float-type fuel senders.

I've got a tube of "stuff" from Vans that's supposed to work - if I can really figure out the mixing instructions. Some really basic questions:

1. Urban legand sez to toss the cork gaskets. Is that correct?
2. Bead size - what's appropriate? While subscribing to the "More is better" idea, what happens if the excess oozes from the cover plate into the tank and possibly breaks loose sometime in the future?
3. Rubber gaskets - just in case the **** thing doesn't work and I have to remove the sender, I intend to use the provided rubber gaskets without sealer, but put pleny of sealer on the screws before assembly. Good idea?
4. Shelf life - or more accurately - "After mixing useful life". How long do I have after mixing for useful application capability?

-8A QB N192NM so I haven't had the fun assembling the tanks. However, it is time to install the float-type fuel senders.

I've got a tube of "stuff" from Vans that's supposed to work - if I can really figure out the mixing instructions. Some really basic questions:

1. Urban legand sez to toss the cork gaskets. Is that correct?
2. Bead size - what's appropriate? While subscribing to the "More is better" idea, what happens if the excess oozes from the cover plate into the tank and possibly breaks loose sometime in the future?
3. Rubber gaskets - just in case the **** thing doesn't work and I have to remove the sender, I intend to use the provided rubber gaskets without sealer, but put pleny of sealer on the screws before assembly. Good idea?
4. Shelf life - or more accurately - "After mixing useful life". How long do I have after mixing for useful application capability?
I would be interested in hearing the answers for your questions 1-3 but I think I can give you some information on question 4. I have been working on my tanks the past couple of weeks. One of my buddies who has been helping me used to seal fuel tanks in KC135's for the Air Force. He was very helpful with some basic skills needed to work with proseal. One of the things he talked about dealt with the premixed proseal and how they managed it in the repair station. They would have mixers whose job it was to mix up the stuff every day. They would place the tubes of mixed compound in a freezer. Then they would have an "ice box" type container they would send the stuff around the shop in. Freezing the compound extended its life.

I have a freezer in my shop so I have been storing the premixed Proseal in the freezer. I have to say I have been able to keep the stuff for almost a week in the freezer without problems. I simply take it out, wait a few minutes, wipe the condensation off of the tube, stick it in the caulking gun I purchased from Vans (funny thing is that there is a great big label on it that says "Harbor Freight" so I guess Vans knows a good deal when he sees one.) and start sealing again. I have noticed that freezing it allows me to have several sessions stretched out over multiple days. This is very helpful as it is sometimes difficult for me to work back to back days on the tanks.

So to answer how long the mixed Proseal will last I can say that if you freeze it, it will last for several days in the freezer. Left out at room temperature the stuff will cure within a few hours.