danny

Well Known Member
Well, I decided it was time to mount the horizontal stab and found I had put a bit of twist in it. I can put an .032" shim on top of the .125"shim already there.
Do I need to worry about this? Should I raise the aft spar an equal amt?
btw, the left side is the problem child.
I don't think I've posted much here but you guys always seem to answer my questions before have a chance to ask so "thanks!"
danny
ok, note to self: don't try to type, watch football and get ready for work at the same time.
chapter two. I had an epiphany on the way to work...I bet the left fwd spar mount is .032" shorter than the other. Anyway, I still have a gap on the aft...hence the twist thing and no idea what to do about it. any ideas?

Last edited:
I couldn't see the harm in shimming things into alignment, particularly as its 'only' .032 you're talking about. I would be inclined to shim the aft spar as well to avoid introducing an exaggerated nose-down tendency.

That being said, I'd run it by The Mothership for your own piece of mind.

I'd run it by The Mothership for your own piece of mind.

That's good advice. My R elevator had almost 1/4" of twist in it, from full inboard to full outboard. I was very concerned and called Vans. The guys there told me it would be "aerodynamically insignificant". Since my Nine-A flies straight and true, that certainly proved to be true.:D

thanks!!

Thanks, you guys have been a big help!!
Rudder goes on weds (I think)
danny

Drilled and temp installed bolts. Bubbles centered from firewall to tail. I have less than .180" difference on the horizontal stab from the rh fwd otbd corner to the lh aft otbd ends. I'm happy.
btw, a buddy with a T-18 told me he had over .5". Made me feel much better.
Thanks guys.....and on to the vertical.
danny