Chappyd

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to mount the heater shuttle valve included in Vans FWF kit.
I know I've read about stainless steel versions, and see them for sale for about $100. I'm looking for advice on if the SS versions are worth the extra, and if they are superior, why would Van's supply an aluminum one for their FWF kit. $100.00 difference in a $4880 price tag seems pretty insignifigant.

Dave,

This comes down to personal choice and the perceived safety of the SS valve.

When I was building and this issue came up (do a search, the topic is out there.) I looked at all those aluminum rivets holding on my SS firewall and went with the aluminum valve.

Then again, my risk tolerance seems to be higher than most.

Firewall Holes

Dave,

I went with the SS flapper because that hole is big enough that I felt like a little extra margin there made sense. I'll have plenty of aluminum rivets, AN fittings, and AN screws/bolts scattered elsewhere like everyone else, but that 2" hole seemed like a good place to spend an extra few bucks to hedge my bet.

It helps that I didn't get the FWF kit so I'm on the cafeteria plan for all of those pieces and parts anyway - it was easy to buy it from http://www.epm-avcorp.com/ :)

I'm also planning two pass-thrus for wiring and am intend to use SS elbows lopped off each end of a bathroom grab bar. I haven't completely committed to it although I've bought the bar (less than $20 at Home Depot). I like the thin wall SS tubing and I like the 90 deg turn. It's a bit big diameter-wise (1.25" or 1.5" I think), so I'll likely pack the wiring in with firesleeve and hi-temp RTV.

Finally, in looking at Van's plans for control cable pass-thrus using two plastic bushings and proseal, I'm quite certain I'll be using hi-temp RTV on them at the very least, and probably adding a SS plate over them as well. I doubt I'll step up to the spendy (and pretty) eyeball devices, but I have no trouble understanding others' reasoning in doing so.

These are just some ways to handle firewall holes I'm sure, and like most things, you choose a solution that you're comfortable with. I've waded through so many threads on this I hope my summary and conclusions might prove useful to some.

George

Here's some food for thought. Why a stainless flapper valve when the box holding it is made of AL. Box melts flapper valve falls off opening the larger hole in the fire wall. Probably at the same speed that the AL flapper valve would fail.

Sorry, It is all SS

Here's some food for thought. Why a stainless flapper valve when the box holding it is made of AL. Box melts flapper valve falls off opening the larger hole in the fire wall. Probably at the same speed that the AL flapper valve would fail.

Sorry I wasn't clear when I said SS flapper, the entire assembly is SS, see http://www.epm-avcorp.com, I bought the 1b.

Not looking to start a war here, just clarifying. Given the # of planes, both experimental and certified, flying with aluminum valves, it is a long way from needed and likely only desirable for some.

George

Last edited: