comfortcat

Well Known Member
Friend
I understand If I go with a wooden prop (Ed Sterba) on my O-320E2A I'll have to do a 40 hour Phase I. Question: If I use the metal prop van's recommends (Sensenich metal), will I get a 25 hour Phase I? Or does it have to be a prop from a Cessna or Piper with that engine?

Thanx!

Prop/my phase 1

I had same issue, and used the local GSO FSDO for my inspection. I also have a Sterba, and used a certified engine I built up (Im an AP/IA). The inspector tried every angle, and by the regulations it must be a certified engine AND propellor to get in the 25hr. phase 1. I have heard others were waived, but I am just going by what regs and FAA follows. Im not sure about VANS props, but it really wasnt a big deal to do the 40 hrs. I am now looking at changing my prop again, as I am under-proped for top end. This will require going back to phase 1 and a call to my local FSDO(no reinspection),in which they will require a period (maybe 5 hrs) before going back to phase 2.

CC,

If your 320 is certified and you use a certified prop, yes... 25 hrs is all you need for phase 1. I am pretty sure that is a certified prop and that is your real question.

OTOH, The -6 I fly has a Sterba prop and and a certified 360. I flew it through phase one and now well beyond.

Let me be the first of many to tell you how nice that prop is!!!

Bang for the buck, Sterba wins hands down!

I am putting a Hartzell CS on the -7 I am finishing now but still have no squawks about the Sterba. It is an INCREDIBLE value!

Does this help in any way?

:cool: CJ

P.S. reading your tag line made me wonder about the Hokey Pokey. But that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the Rub-a-dub dub, three men in a tub thing. What is up with those guys???

Last edited:
The Sensenich prop that came from Van's for my O-360 is an experimental prop. My FSDO (Reno) required a 40 hr Phase I. Dan

IIRC, the prob must be certified on that engine------not meerly "certified"

Mike is correct. The problem is that our planes are so fast, finding a ?certified? engine-fixed pitch prop combination will be difficult, if not impossible.

The exception to that is if you get an engine with a constant speed prop, then they can handle the speeds the RV is capable of.

Say you grabbed the engine-constant speed prop out of a Piper Arrow and bolted them to the front of your RV, then you are eligible for the 25 hour test period. Heck, you could even bolt the engine-fixed pitch prop out of a 160 hp Cherokee on the front of your project and be eligible for the 25 hours but you would go very slow.

I use the word ?eligible? because the inspector can still issue you 40 hours, if he/she feels it is warranted.

As an interesting note, when I replaced my O-290 with an ECi O-360, new prop, etc., my test period was only five hours. Keep in mind, that was done on a plane that had already been flying and the five hours was dictated under the major repair or alteration portion of my Operating Limitations.