Juicegoose

Well Known Member
Along the same lines as my OT bearing question I have a mounting bracket that has a hole drilled through it. There is supposed to be a little nut on the back side that has a metal housing that clips into the hole. This way when you place a bolt into the hole the nut is always there. The little metal housing is square and wraps around a square nut and little wings clip into the underside of the hole. Not sure what type of nut this is so that I can begin the process of finding a replacement. Any guesses

It sounds like...

If the application is in the front end of a car, these are typically called "Pierce" nuts, and are installed in the stamping during the forming process. The nuts are rectangular shaped and come attached together in a spool. During the stamping of, for example, a radiator support, the nut is fed onto the blank during the forming process and staked into place. They become a permanent part of the stamping. Nuts that are held in place but independent of the stamping are typically examples of "Keps" fasteners. Use of these fasteners allows the male component to be fixed without having to put a wrench on the nut.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Think i found it guys. They are called retaining nuts. heres a link to what i found. Thanks for the point in the right direction

[Bhttp://www.boltproducts.com/bolt-retainers-standard-retainers-c-215_216-l-en.html[/B]