Skyhook

Well Known Member
Reading the parachute thread below I got to wondering what the recommended egress procedures would be for the -4.

Flying other low wing acft (T-34, for instance), I seem to recall the pilot, in order to not suffer impingement on tail surfaces, was instructed to "dive at the trailing edge of the wing". Failure to do that would tend to make egress a moot point.

BTW, anyone ever hear of someone actually bailing out of a stricken -4??

No but

I have about 500 skydives from a number of different aircraft.

I have often tried to touch the tail of a spam can but trying to jump up to it...Never got close.

Reason is in straight and level flight you are travelling at the same speed as the airplane...The only force that potentially gets you close to the tail is the extra wind resistance of your body.

Presumably this effect gets bigger the faster the airplane is travelling.

My best guess is i think it would be relatively easy to avoid the tail in controlled conditions.

The problem is if in the unlikely event you ever had to bail conditions are likely not to be controlled..I mean, the only reason to bail is either a structural failure or a fire.

The structural failure scenario could mean anything and depending which way the airplane is spinning will dictate how you get away from the thing so it is probably a moot point.

When I flew Chipmunks in the RAF air cadets we were told to reach down and grab the trailing edge of the wing and pull yourself down.

Even at 14 years old I was pretty skeptical..:)

Frank

Trim full nose down, but hold plane level. Open canopy. Roll inverted. Release stick, then seat belts.