Camillo

Well Known Member
I installed my engine control cables.
I have full in and out movements, in the sense that I can give full thottle and minimum throttle, full rich and cut-out, highest RPM and lower RPM.
But only mixture and throttle knobs inside the cockpit touch the throttle quadrant (i.e.: the base of the cable assembly). The propeller knob stays 12/32'' apart fromn its base.
I guess this is only a cosmetic issue. But how can I solve it?
I believe that it is simply necessary to adjust the threaded terminal part of the cable assembly just before the control bearing. The fact is that nut is already close to the last thread.
It seems that I need to remake the bracket. Is this possible? I am using a Van's new engine, with Van's F/F kit. All brand new and typical stuff.

I was about to suggest you carefully bend the bracket for adjustment and then remembered that it is necessary to 'clock' the prop governor. I think the procedure varies depending on the model governor you have. On mine, it was clocked almost 180 degrees from where it should be; I had to loosen (not remove) several screws on the aft face of the governor and rotate the actuator until it was in the correct position and then re-tighten the screws. Instructions came with the governor. My initial try at this left me like you with the prop control stopping short (by about 1/8" in my case). So much for the eyeball method. Once I had the cable in place, it was easy to position the governor correctly.

Thanks, flion, but I already clocked my propeller governor before mounting the engine. Actually, the arm movement of the governor is perfect: from right to left (stop to stop). Maybe I can move it again and rotate clockwise just a bit, in order to let the cable assembly becoming "shorter", thus minimizing the gap between the knob and the knob base. I will try.

If I read you post correctly, your throttle cable is just about correct and every thing else is wrong...

All of your control cables should have "cushion" which means they hit stop on the carb or governor when the lever or cable knob is about 1/8 of an inch from its limit in the cockpit.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

If I read you post correctly, your throttle cable is just about correct and every thing else is wrong...

All of your control cables should have "cushion" which means they hit stop on the carb or governor when the lever or cable knob is about 1/8 of an inch from its limit in the cockpit.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

I agree with Doug! It may be that your other cables are not rigged correctly if the do not have an cushion.