Tkitchen1

Grettings all. I have a Lycoming O-320 B3B that I am going to rebuild. After 10 years in the semi-pro drag racing arena, I have the skills and tools to rebuild the engine. My Lycoming overhaul manual says to use a test club to fire the engine up and test run it. The test club looks like a propeller, so why shouldn't I use a propeller? Thank you for any info.

Just not nuthin

You could use a club, a dyno, or a prop. Just don't run the engine with zero resistance is the idea.

The test club looks like a propeller, so why shouldn't I use a propeller? Thank you for any info.

A test club is shorter with more pitch to move more air over the engine while running on the ground. A propeller depends on aircraft speed for cooling.
I wouldn't run the engine extensively on the ground with a propeller. It's just not designed for it.

Hmmmnnn. I thought the test club was pitched so the engine could achieve full RPM on the ground. I thought that was necessary to properly seat the rings. Learn something new every day.

John Allen

Hmmmnnn. I thought the test club was pitched so the engine could achieve full RPM on the ground. I thought that was necessary to properly seat the rings. Learn something new every day.

John Allen
A properly calibrated test club, for the model engine being run, will allow it to achieve rated RPM and full MP while providing adequate cooling air flow. However, the test club doesn't produce as much thrust as a flight propeller at that same RPM. You couldn't fly the aircraft with a test club even though it made rated RPM at full MP. The test club blades are made and pitched to move air and provide proper load, not provide thrust. The cord of the test club blades is way different then a flight propeller!
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

For a aircraft mounted break-in we did 5 or so SHORT (less than 3 min) runs, to increasing power levels (all the way to rated RPM on the last one. Then went flying in the circuit 1500' AGL above the airport to ensure cooling air. it worked fine.