C-J

I guess you just have to try it to believe it! I had my prop balanced last week by Brian Wallis of Atlanta (404-405-1315) and it was like getting a new airplane. Oh yeah it is a new airplane, but the balancing made really feel like one, almost like an electric motor. It just seems like the airplane is soooo happy now, and not working as hard.

Give it a try, especially if your bird feels a little edgy, it just may be the ticket. If you are in the Southeast, give Brian a call, he is a true professional (IA) that does quality work. Cj

Prop Balancing

It kinda of depends on travel time and if you can get a few planes together for balancing. I would call Brian and see what he thinks for travel to you. You could fly to him and perhaps save a few bucks. He did 2 planes in Barnwell SC for $250 each and it took about 3 hours total.

Furthermore....

...I did the initial flight of Carl's airplane and to me, it was pretty smooth then. Yep, it never ceases to amaze me what a good balance job will do.

Carl, do you remember the initial IPS number and secondly, how many grams did he have to add?

Regards,

I'm curious how often this should be done (balancing)? It seems to me that, failing any major incident that causes it to go out of balance (like a big nick in one blade requiring dressing), it should be good "forever." Is this the case?

greg

Frequency

I'd say.... Every 2 years or after engine work, dings in the prop or prop work. I'll come to you. If not local, 250 plus fuel or 2 or more=no travel charge. Carl and his friend with an RV-8 were a HOOT!
Best
Brian Wallis

Last edited:
I'd say.... Every 2 years or after engine work or prop work. I'll come to you. If not local, 250 plus fuel or 2 or more=no travel charge. Carl and his friend with an RV-8 were a HOOT!
Best
Brian Wallis

Brian

Just got my Aerocomposites prop back from some seal work and would like to do a balance job. Right now there's a very pronounced vibration at low rpm. I live in central NC and might be able to russle up another prop or two.

I'm curious how often this should be done (balancing)? It seems to me that, failing any major incident that causes it to go out of balance (like a big nick in one blade requiring dressing), it should be good "forever." Is this the case?

Believe it or not, it is possible to throw a Hartzell prop out of balance by overgreasing it (so says the manual). Of course the manual says if you do this you should the prop overhauled, not balanced.

What kind of prop?

I guess you just have to try it to believe it! I had my prop balanced last week by Brian Wallis of Atlanta (404-405-1315) and it was like getting a new airplane. Oh yeah it is a new airplane, but the balancing made really feel like one, almost like an electric motor. It just seems like the airplane is soooo happy now, and not working as hard.

Give it a try, especially if your bird feels a little edgy, it just may be the ticket. If you are in the Southeast, give Brian a call, he is a true professional (IA) that does quality work. Cj

Anybody that wants to come to the Dallas area (52F) that's needs a balance let me know, I am doing an "RV" special for $100 for the next month. This gives you a great deal on a balance job and me some extra experience using our new MicrVib II balancer.

Just as an example I balanced a prop today, started out at .24 IPS and ended up at .016 IPS after 4 runs. Can't guarantee those kind of results on every aircraft but so far we have been able to get less than .03 on every RV we've done.

Yes

Believe it or not, it is possible to throw a Hartzell prop out of balance by overgreasing it (so says the manual). Of course the manual says if you do this you should the prop overhauled, not balanced.
Jamie is absolutely correct, if you pop the seals... It could get messy and expensive.
Best
Brian

Prop Balancing

The prop on my plane is a metal Sensenich 72 x 85. I think the first reading was .6 ips and Brain got it down to .01 ips. Brian would have to verify. As far as the weight it took an AN 4 - 11, 2 big washers and an AN 3 on the next hole over to get to the .01 and 4 runs. Carl