briand

Well Known Member
This may have been posted here before but I just saw it today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBYrYjNi53M

Listen to his excuses.

Unstrapping and removing chute while moving.

Interesting he says all they have to do is bolt on another prop. That thing stopped quick. Theres gotta be some engine damage.

Filed under "fuel for the trike/taildragger fire" :p

Kirby's attitude was a little disappointing though, although he was probably just embarrassed about the whole thing.

Schtuff happens

He was distracted in the cockpit and screwed up. I think he was annoyed with the interview.

Rhonda may chime in here but I think the engine went back to them (Barrett) for work.

Schtuff Happens

Hey Darwin:

I'm not Kirby's PR person (don't think I could handle the job.) But, I would like to be that gal that does the tarmac commentary on Fox Sports! What a job!! Geez, that's the life.

Kirby had a brand new engine that we built him in late February that went right into the plane. We put 5 hours on the engine in the dyno, so it was ready to fly. But, since he was beat by Hannes in the race, that wasn't really an issue for Rio. He did hit pretty hard (can't you see him cussing his brains out in the video?)

The engine came here for prop strike inspection and did not sustain any significant damage from the strike. It will be reassembled and tested late next week. It will not, however, go into the Edge he is currently flying in the races.

As far was Kirby's response to the reporter. He was already mad about the race, and I think that's what he was thinking about at the time. Stuff does happen, and better he prang it than destroy another airplane. I still can't figure out what the **** that guy was doing on the runway anyway during the middle of the race!