trib

Well Known Member
I tried to install my fixed pitch 2 1/2" prop spacer on the crank hub and it doesn't quite fit. I discovered that of the 6 threaded inserts on the hub (4 long and 2 short) one of the short inserts has a diameter of 0.78" while the other 5 are 0.75". The spacer is sized so it easily slides over each of the 0.75" inserts (all holes equally sized) but will not accept the oversized insert. I tried each of the holes and none will fit the larger insert. Is this supposed to be some type of indexing insert? The crank is an ECi component for an O360 with provisions for a constant speed prop, but set up for fixed pitch. Since this is a hollow crank which can be used with a constant speed prop, does that setup have a larger insert? My Prop is a Sensinech fixed pitch with the 2 1/2" spacer.

Help, I'm stuck (literally)!! :confused:

Tim, I didn't have any problems getting the spacer on.. and we have the same setup.. except my spacer is the longer one (4").. also sensenich.. Call Ed @ Sensenich and see what he says..

trib said:
I tried to install my fixed pitch 2 1/2" prop spacer on the crank hub and it doesn't quite fit. I discovered that of the 6 threaded inserts on the hub (4 long and 2 short) one of the short inserts has a diameter of 0.78" while the other 5 are 0.75". The spacer is sized so it easily slides over each of the 0.75" inserts (all holes equally sized) but will not accept the oversized insert. I tried each of the holes and none will fit the larger insert. Is this supposed to be some type of indexing insert? The crank is an ECi component for an O360 with provisions for a constant speed prop, but set up for fixed pitch. Since this is a hollow crank which can be used with a constant speed prop, does that setup have a larger insert? My Prop is a Sensinech fixed pitch with the 2 1/2" spacer.

Help, I'm stuck (literally)!! :confused:
Hi Tim,
This may be a stupid question, but did you try to install the prop spacer directly to the flange or did you have the ringgear mounted first. My ringgear has the larger hole in it that fits over last part of the bushing that is larger than the others. From the front of the ringgear, the bushing are all the same size.

Duhhhh!

Didn't have the ring gear installed, which of course has the larger hole to index to the hub. After install, only four of the inserts protrude, the short, fat one not being one of the four.

All is well!

thanks guys.

By the way, I've finished the instructions for assembling the kit engine and have about 100 photos accompanying these. Problem is that my host site only allows 10meg of storage and I need about 100. I may post the instructions (word) with a few photos, and if anyone wants the entire collection I may ask for a nominal fee (about $5) for them to pay for the privlege of having my teenage daughter make and send them a CD.

Exactly my question! The starter ring gear must be on. The larger lug is used to "key" the stater ring gear for timing and balance.

dont feel bad

trib said:
Duhhhh!

Didn't have the ring gear installed, which of course has the larger hole to index to the hub. After install, only four of the inserts protrude, the short, fat one not being one of the four.

All is well!

thanks guys.

By the way, I've finished the instructions for assembling the kit engine and have about 100 photos accompanying these. Problem is that my host site only allows 10meg of storage and I need about 100. I may post the instructions (word) with a few photos, and if anyone wants the entire collection I may ask for a nominal fee (about $5) for them to pay for the privlege of having my teenage daughter make and send them a CD.

I did the same thing, late at night, went to bed worried that I ordered the wrong engine or prop. Woke up, and had a revelation.......Just confirms my tag line....