rwarre

Well Known Member
Have an o320 on my 7a with a sensenich metal prop. I enjoy the economy of the engine but since I live in Colorado performance suffers a little in climb. I am considering a Whirlwind or similar composite prop. How would the prop change affect the aircraft performance? Would I be able better my climb?

I have the Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop on an O-320 in my RV6 and while climb and top speed are better than my old Aymar Demuth wood prop, neither gives the takeoff and climb performance I desire when in the mountains. Only a constant speed prop would let the engine turn the full 2700 rpm for takeoff. The ground adjustable prop *could* be set to a finer pitch for higher static RPMs and more takeoff power but then would too easily over-rev once you level off and your cruise speed would suffer.

Prop issue

Keep in mind that the ground adjustable props help you reach a level,of compromise without the added weight of a constant speed prop. My 6a has a Hartzell constant speed and works well....but weighs quite a bit with the governor and associated components. With a 200 hp the weight isn't an issue...but if I had a smaller engine I'd consider the ground adjustable route. I own a Carbon Cub with the Titan 340 Stroker and run the Whirlwind ground adjustable prop and love it! I just wish they'd come out with a three blade version!