dtaylor

What Prop locks is everybody using (or not using?)

How about this one from Sportys or Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/aviationpropclub.php

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

I don't use one

Usually my plane is in a hangar and when traveling I lock the canopy at a secured (usually) airport.

Who in their right mind would steal a homebuilt?

The radios maybe but I doubt there is much of a theft problem with homebuilts.

I guess I lead a sheltered life. I don't even know where our house key is or if we even have one. I do lock my canopy, but I haven't figured out why.

I remember a guy who had a chain on his prop at our airport some years ago. Dumpy old Cherokee no one in their right mind would steal. One day someone (I'll never tell) remembered the old slogan, "Why be half safe?" and installed a second padlock. I don't think we ever saw the chain after that.

Bob Kelly

Who in their right mind would steal a homebuilt?

I totally agree - although we try to put controls/switches in some sort of standard location there is way more variability than a cessna.

A thief would have to be really gutsy to hop into some random homebuilt.

Kill switch...

....is what Homeland security wanted all of us Ag operators to install. After 9/11, they recommended some way to disable/block our ag airplanes from being stolen and used for Anthrax dispersal.

All you need is a hidden or disguised toggle switch that is in series with the master switch...some guys labelled it 9/11:D and unless it's on, the engine wont crank...cheap too. The P-leads can also be grounded in a similar fashion,

Regards,