Craig

Well Known Member
I just hung my engine yesterday. It is a TMX IO-360 constant speed, installed in an RV-8.

I have a clearance issue with the prop line and engine mount. There is only about 1/16 inch clearance between the two. Here is a picture, not a great angle on it, but you can see the prop line and engine mount just below and to the left of the middle of the dipstick tube:

Has anyone else had this problem, and what would you do about it?

Not me....

but nobody has answered your post yet, so...you might consider replacement with a flexible line. You could then route it where you wanted to.
I believe that is a stainless line and bending it might prove to be difficult to do and still keep it's total length and orientation correct but maybe someone else with that experience can help you.

but nobody has answered your post yet, so...you might consider replacement with a flexible line. You could then route it where you wanted to.
I believe that is a stainless line and bending it might prove to be difficult to do and still keep it's total length and orientation correct but maybe someone else with that experience can help you.

And then I've heard that flexible lines can lead to prop surging. This subject came up with a group of RVers the other day, when I was discussing prop governors. So as to fact, I don't know.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

No surging

RV-9A, O-320 from Aerosport, Flexible prop governor oil line (also from Aerosport). No surging problem in 400 hours. The only surging issues I've heard of of late has been with certain versions of the Jih..... (however you spell it) prop governors.

The flexible line can be routed under the mount and avoid the clearance problem.

Call Mahlon @ Mattituck

They are very responsive to any questions or problems that arise with their engines. My line is close, but not that close, RV 7 & TMXIO 360 with c/s and horizontal induction.

Good luck.
David

The only surging issues I've heard of of late has been with certain versions of the Jih..... (however you spell it) prop governors.

I have a Jihostroj (made in Germany) governor that was produced for MT- Propeller back in 2003. It works just great. Later on, MT governors were produced by someone else, but I no longer remember the particulars on the subject.

L.Adamson

No surging here...

And then I've heard that flexible lines can lead to prop surging. This subject came up with a group of RVers the other day, when I was discussing prop governors. So as to fact, I don't know.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Flexible line....

Thanks for the thoughts.

It looks like I am the first that this happened to.

I'm exceptionally lucky that way.

Hi Craig:

I have a similar situation on my TMX0360. This item is on my punch list to review. One thought was to put an Adel clamp on the line, another on the mount, and tie the two together. Not sure if this would help or hinder the situation.

I have just about 5/32 clearance between the line and the mount.

A good item for an A&P to review.

Let me know what your final solution is and I will do likewise.

propgovlinewd2.jpg

Mike Draper
RV-8 TMX0360 CS
N468RV

One thought was to put an Adel clamp on the line, another on the mount, and tie the two together. Not sure if this would help or hinder the situation.

Don't do it!!! The engine moves relative to the engine mount. If you tie the mount to anything on the engine, you've just built yourself a rig to test the tensile strength of whatever it is you clamped onto.

I have a similar situation on my TMX-360 too, although the clearance is more like 3/8"-1/2". Part of the problem here is that I don't know how much clearance is enough. I need to figure it out before I fire it up though.

20080210_oil_line.jpg

cheers,
mcb

Don't do it!!! The engine moves relative to the engine mount.

Excellent point Matt, I thought that would be a problem. I sent an email to Mattituck and asked for their recommendation.

Everyone references the "wet dog" shake of the Lycomings on start up and shut down. I understand that there is a lot of engine movement relative to the cowl. I am not sure how much movement there is relative to the mount or what margin of error you should factor in.

Need to get this one right the first time.

Mike Draper
RV-8 TMX0360 CS
N468RV

What you do is you need to "persuade" that line into being in the position you want. I'd take a long piece of wood like a 2X4, put a notch in the end and sand it so there aren't any sharp corners, and carefully use that piece with a hammer to put a bend in the line and force it away from the mount. It won't take much to get the job done. I'd be happy with 1/4" of clearance there.

The pressure in that line is 300psi, I'd take a stainless line any day over a flexible line.

Clearance

Mahlon says if your index finger can fit between an item and the engine mount, your O.K.

Brute force worked in the end.

I had to remove the line from the governor end and rebend the line with my hands. It fits better now.

I also had to heat and bend the dipstick/oil filler tube.