Allen231ah

Well Known Member
I am in the finish stages of my QB-8 and have a couple of questions . I have a new O-360 from Van's and a CS prop . I have fitted the cowl using 2.25 spacers to simulate the prop installation . Lycoming suggest that the engine should not be turned until it is ready for service . I (think) I may be ready for test flight by mid to late November. Judging from photos on various builder web pages it appears that the prop was installed early in the construction . Is the no movement thing really a big deal at this point . I would like to install the prop before I paint in case some fiberglass changes need to happen .

The cylinders have been coated with preservative. If you turn the crankshaft, you will wipe the preservative off the cylinder walls exposing them to corrosion. Best not to do it. You don't need the prop installed for any fitting. It just gets in the way.

My engine had the Lycoming "pickeling"; and I expected huge gobs of preservative oil; and had a do not turn sign on the prop for years.

When pulling the bottom plate to mount the carb, as well as the bottom spark plugs; there just wasn't that much oil. I doubt there was enough for hydraulic lock.

After making sure that the oil is drained, to prevent any form of hydrolock, I don't see it as a problem to move the prop through a few rotations by hand, unless humidity is excessive. (edit: Looks like it IS excessive) I live in a rather dry climate, that just doesn't rust out engines very fast. The engine has since been filled with oil, through the oil galleys and into the sump.

L.Adamson

edit: Never mind ---------------you live in Georgia!!! :)

Last edited: