Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
Apparently the manufacturer holding the PMA for "Prop Guard" is out of business. I have a CS Hartzell that has Prop Guard (really needed in AZ) and would like to replace the tape as it is very worn.

Anyone know where I can buy some Prop Guard or a suitable substitute?

Roll the tape...

Apparently the manufacturer holding the PMA for "Prop Guard" is out of business. I have a CS Hartzell that has Prop Guard (really needed in AZ) and would like to replace the tape as it is very worn.

Anyone know where I can buy some Prop Guard or a suitable substitute?

Ken,
I have used several different protective tape types on wood and Catto composite props over the years. Rain is a nemesis here in the SEUSA.

Tennessee propellers sells an awesome substitute that works well. I have used good old aluminum tape (same stuff between your wing and flap) sold at Home Depots aviation dept. Works very well but you want to limit the amount of overlap as it reflects. Or, you could paint the tape black. I have also used plain old electrical tape in a pinch.

V/R
Smokey

Tape

I have used clear 3m tape from the auto parts store . It comes in different colors to patch taillights. I used some other clear 3m stuff but it was too thick , I could feel the prop " cavatate "
Tom

Elastic paint or sealant?

What about some of the rubbery type spray sealant or paint. Something along the lines of the stuff on TV that seals a screen door in the bottom of a boat; or pickup truck bed liner material; or Krylon has some similar applications? Has anyone tried any of these to see if it would be more chip resistant and could be laid on thin enough? Just thinking out loud.

beware the specs!

so, this is sold as prop tape, but 3M says it's 'indoor grade industrial anti-abrasion' tape

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ECIE20SOG5000000_nid=L7PX7RHWT0be90657JDCX3gl

even though it's in their 'aerospace' catalogue. weird eh?

I have a bunch of clear 3m tape on my canopy rails, flaps etc....and it all turned brittle, yellow, and fell off...except the rock-hard adhesive residue stays behind! ( not sure if it's this stuff, but could be)

what's a guy to do?

by the way, 3m sells an adhesion promoter #94, a 'primer' in little ampule sticks that likely would improve the bond..basically it appears to be a glycol based retarder that softens the adhesive a bit to help it stick in tight corners etc.

perhaps one of these tapes is what we need; where to get it, another question;

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ECIE20SOG5000000_nid=61XB41ZN6Jbe90657JDCX3gl

and some good install notes;
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...s6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=TDS_PPTApplication.pdf

Last edited:
This is not listed by 3M as a prop tape, so we can't specifically recommend it for that application. However, it sticks well, is very thin, is very tough, it's cheap, and it won't yellow or leave a residue.

3M paint protection films are listed on this page.

Seriously, this stuff is 10x better than UHMW tape, or other clear tapes for most of our uses. Put it under fairings, or anywhere else that paint is subject to scratches, abrasion, or stone chips.

I installed the prop tape from Spruce ...

...on my Catto 3-blade. It's been flying for almost a year and has worked well. Perfect adhesion and protection, though it has yellowed significantly. Doesn't look great on a white prop.