redwards

I have a Lyc IO 360 from Van's and an MT governor from Van's fwf kit. Studs for mounting the gov to the engine are 5/16-18. These studs came installed in the engine. I need to mount the gov with nuts. Standard Aircraft Manual torque table indicates 80-90 in-lbs but MT manual says 180-220 in-lbs. Are these super duper studs? Should I really torque them to 180-220 in-lbs?

I have a Lyc IO 360 from Van's and an MT governor from Van's fwf kit. Studs for mounting the gov to the engine are 5/16-18. These studs came installed in the engine. I need to mount the gov with nuts. Standard Aircraft Manual torque table indicates 80-90 in-lbs but MT manual says 180-220 in-lbs. Are these super duper studs? Should I really torque them to 180-220 in-lbs?

Vans manual calls for a torque of 100-140 inch lbs for 5/16-24 airframe bolts but engine bolts/studs are coarse thread and are torqued to a higher percentage of yield. The Lycoming manual indicates that the governor nuts are standard torque (which means 204 inch lbs on 5/16 bolts/studs). That would seem to agree with the torque that you mentioned as provided in the MT manual.

I highly recommend you get a copy of the Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual Part no. 60294-7 which among other things will give you the torques for all engine fasteners on the IO360.

Regards Bob Barrow