Jim P

Well Known Member
The hose supplied by AeroSPort is a tad too long, but I was thinking of making a hard tube for the prop governor line. What's the consensus on this one? Since the governor to engine is fixed, I don't have to worry about relative motion and a tube would make a neater install.

Jim

Jim P said:
The hose supplied by AeroSPort is a tad too long, but I was thinking of making a hard tube for the prop governor line. What's the consensus on this one? Since the governor to engine is fixed, I don't have to worry about relative motion and a tube would make a neater install.

Jim
My Mattituck engine came with a hard steel tube with steel fittings on both ends.

-Geoff

This is the subject of an AD note! There are pre-made tubes that satisfy the AD available for purchase from any engine parts supplier. The tube should be Stainless not aluminum. The fittings in the engine should be steel not aluminum.
An appropriate hose is also allowed by the AD.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

The follow-on question

Mahlon,

What's the recomendation on stainless tubing size/ thickness?

Thanks,

Jim

The tubing is normally 3/8", I don't know the thickness.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Yep Buy it from ECI

Jim P said:

Jim
What mahlon said, its a standard item you really should just purchase. (Recommend ECI). It is not a part you want to make. (read on)

Also what mahlon was referring to was the original equipment on Lycoming was a hard aluminum tube and aluminum fittings. In the late 90' after 40 years the FAA decided to make everyone change over the stainless steel and steel AN fittings as part of the AD.

The hard tube is complicated with lots of bends and twist and turns. It would not be easy for most people to make, especially out of stainless.

The reason for the bends is it runs near the sump bolts, so you can support the tube with Adel camps. THIS IS KEY!!! If you install a hard tubing (preferably stainless) you must support it securely or it will fail. The reason some of the original aluminum tubes failed, which lead to the AD, was the clamps where left off by some mechanics. This lead to fatigue failure. It took 40 years to decide aluminum was not good enough and mandate the stainless/steel fittings. However I'd go with the steel/steel as a concession to the AD. You can't even buy aluminum tubes any more. In fact I have one I took off my plane to replace with SS.

The soft hose is also approved by the FAA, but I prefer the stainless and clamps. Its cleaner and may be lighter.

Just be aware this is a flight critical item. If it where to fail you would have a massive oil leak, possible fire and engine failure. The new tube is about $120 and the fittings both end (steel not aluminum) about $10-15 each and a hand full of clamps you are looking at $160. You could sell the soft hose to someone ($100?) who is not as picky about the loose fit.

From eci

AEL75167 NA 75167 Tube Assy, Prop Governor $156.99 $120.76

AEL75167_n.jpg

Don't know the cushion clamp or AN fitting part numbers but they are standard stuff. Call or write http://www.eci2fly.com/

Last edited: