Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
The manual says that for fixed pitch props you should check the prop extension alignment using a dial indicator.

Did you do this? If so do you have a picture of how you secured the dial indicator to the engine?

Thanks,
Michael

Just put the extension on. Touque it to specs using the correct sequence (bolt 1, 4, 6, 3, 5, 2).

Then put the prop on. Check the prop/ extension tracking by removing one spark plug from each cylinder and swinging the prop. You can use a peice of 2x4 sitting on top of a chair to check each blades distance/tracking.

Check separately...

The manual instructs to check the prop extension alignment independent from the prop blade track.

I'm just wondering if people do that, or just check the prop blade track as you suggest.

Michael-

If you have a crank flange with a locating lug, it is a good idea to check and make sure the prop spacer is fully seated.

In search of smooth

I've been flying for 45 hours now. Everything is fully seated. I have a three blade catto prop. I'm just searching for smoother operation at higher RPM.

There's a good chance I don't know what to expect in terms of what smooth is at higher RPM. Besides transition training, I haven't flown other RVs. Besides short test runs I don't typically cruise a full power. I'm usually pulled back to 2300 RPM.

One of the blades is out of track by just under 1/16 which according to the manual is the maximum.

I have not had my prop balanced. But was thinking that I should adjust things in the right order. i.e. extension alignment, prop blade track, then balance.

Michael-

:)A 1/16th on a Catto is not an issue. I would re-clock the prop. I won't even say here on the forum how far my first Catto three blade was out of track from 2007. It was one blade off track too. :eek:

The manual instructs to check the prop extension alignment independent from the prop blade track.

I'm just wondering if people do that, or just check the prop blade track as you suggest.

Michael-

The EZ crowd uses long extensions (6- 9") so dialing them in is important. Use a mag base indicator on a steel plate where the alternator bracket screws into the case. On a 7" dia extension flange I like to have <.004" TIR; less than .060" runout at the prop tip is good. Don't know about Craig's, but my Klaus Savier prop tracks within .015"

Last edited: