Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Hello, I have not flown with a C/S-prop yet. Now I am getting my layout ready for the printer, to silk screen my panel. I checked a lot of panel pictures on the forums, but I see panels with:
RPM or Prop: "Push Low" and I see some that have RPM or Prop: "Push High".

What does it need to be? I am using the Vans FWF kit so the controls are going to be as they should be. And that is what it needs to be, for a safe plane!

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards, Tonny.

Hi Tonny.......

.....is there any reason not to just label it "Prop?" During takeoff, the prop control should be forward for max RPM caused by flatter pitch.

As the prop control is pulled/rotated out, the blades increase their pitch and the RPM's come down.

Regards,

Define your terms.

High, and Low are just meaningless here, unless you define what is being set.

High prop pitch is Low RPM, and Low prop pitch is High RPM.

Label the knob RPM, and then "push for high" makes sense.

Label the knob Prop, and "push for high" is no good, needs to be "push for high RPM"

If you label the knob Pitch, then it will be "push for low".

Now, is the muddy water any clearer????

Hello, I have not flown with a C/S-prop yet. Now I am getting my layout ready for the printer, to silk screen my panel. I checked a lot of panel pictures on the forums, but I see panels with:
RPM or Prop: "Push Low" and I see some that have RPM or Prop: "Push High".

What does it need to be? I am using the Vans FWF kit so the controls are going to be as they should be. And that is what it needs to be, for a safe plane!

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards, Tonny.

Forward is low pitch/high RPM.

The standard for engine controls is forward=high power.

For max power, all three levers should be at the forward stop. Since they are traditionally topped by a ball (Black throttle, blue prop, red mixture) this is the origin of the expression "balls to the wall" which implies the tops of the levers as close to the firewall as possible.

I have seen certified aircraft labeled only "T P M."

An anglophile friend labeled mine "Airscrew" and "coarse" (aft) and "fine" (forward)

For max power, all three levers should be at the forward stop. Since they are traditionally topped by a ball (Black throttle, blue prop, red mixture) this is the origin of the expression "balls to the wall" which implies the tops of the levers as close to the firewall as possible.

All them "balls to the walls" pilots must have been flying out of sea-level airports! :D

At 4600+ msl airport elevation, my red mixture ball is out a 1/2" or so..... for max power.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

All of the certified aircraft I fly that have constant speed props (Cessna 182, Pitts S2A, S2B) are labeled "Prop Push Incr RPM"

The blue prop control only changes the pre-load on the governor's spring - it doesn't directly affect pitch at all. Pitch is controlled purely by the governor. Under some flight conditions, moving the prop control wont affect the pitch whatsoever.

Cheers,
Matt

never flown a variable pitch piston engine...

but for the turbo props with prop levers I've flown its always been labled "increase RPM" towards the fire wall. (like others have posted)

Their quadrants look a lot like the quadrants I've seen for recipts with variable pitch props.

I believe I read somewhere that the knobs must all be different colors and have distinct tactile feel. (ie differing shapes)... I believe they must also be labled...

But that is better left for MEL

RPM: "Push high"

That's what I will put on!

Thanks a lot guys, it is all a lot clearer now.

A lot of planes flying out there that have un-labeled controls, though!

Regards, Tonny.