laz

Well Known Member
OK here is my first ever post. I am starting my firewall forward installation. RV8, O360 A1A carb. I am trying to build this plane simple and light.

I just received my throttle , Mixture and prop cables form Vans. Both the prop control and mixture controls are listed in the vans catalog a 55" and in their FWF kit for the RV8 with my engine.

It appears that the prop gov. cable is at lead 5" to 7" too long. I am using a MT style Gov. and the Van's bracket. The cable could work but leaves a large curve between where it enters the firewall and the Gov. bracket.

If anyone know where I can get some pictures of this area or has many comments on this cable please let me know.

I am using a Van's deluxe quadrant. I also need some guidance on what is bet to use on the firewall where the cable goes thru.

Thanks

Don't do it

If anyone know where I can get some pictures of this area or has many comments on this cable please let me know.

I am using a Van's deluxe quadrant.

Here is your chance to avoid the whole Deluxe Throttle Quadrant issue and use a vernier cable for the prop control (and possibly the mixture too). It will be much harder to fix later.

After more than a year of struggling with it, I recently replaced the prop governor cable in my flying '8A. I used a Van's blue 48-inch vernier cable and it is about the right length depending on the position of its cockpit mounting point. My governor is a Hartzell and I know you have an MT so YMMV.

VernierPropControl.jpg

--
Joe

Cable Length

Though Vans has "standard cables" for various airframes and induction systems, the truth is very few installations are "standard" as people decide differently on where to exit the firewall, etc.
They offer many lengths of cables, which may not be described as being for the airframe and purpose you need, but may work just right. If there many lengths of cables don't suit you they can order you a custom length.

I just went through this process replacing a deteriorated (20 years plus) cable and as it turned out, I needed it right away. They actually coordinated with their vendor and it was made and shipped overnight the day I called.

They all do a great job!!

Figure out what you need, and get it the way you want it.