dstew

A question to any DAR's out there. What would be the process to change props during phase 1 (40hrs).

Thanks
Dale

Not a DAR. But it all goes back to your operating limitations and how they were writen. Are you going from fixed to constant? Fixed to fixed? Wood to metal? Different manufactures or the same? Lots of questions but it would help with getting you the correct answer.

If you change from F/P to F/P or from C/S to C/S, it's a logbook entry.
If you change F/P to or from C/S, you will need a new 8130-6 (Airworthiness Application).
Of course if the props are of different weights, you will need to redo W&B.

Switching from 3 blade CS MT to WW74 CS, both composite. If you did this after phase 1 sign off, would it require going back into phase 1?
Thanks for the responses.

Dale

Last edited:
Switched from Pacesetter to Catto 2-blade and was put back in phase I by FSDO for 5 hours. Didn't think it necessary, but didn't argue and cause a stink either. First mistake, I think, was the mechanic submitting a major-change. I'm not an A&P, but I don't think that was req'd given the change we made. Anyone disagree?
Long and short is FSDO determines what he wants, if he knows about it...

You know you don't have to 'let the mechanic' do the work (especially one that doesn't know the rules from OKC), right?

I did the phase 1 thing a few times for wood prop swaps before I knew the proper reading of 'changing type of prop', but have never had a mechanic do anything except the annual condition inspection. It's pretty easy to static balance, install, and track a prop. A lot of EAA chapters even have dynamic balancers, too.

Charlie
flying my 4th 'purchased' homebuilt; working on a -7

"Let the mechanic"

At the time it was all new to me and the new prop (replacing one with cracked lamination) was part of passing the condition inspection, so I went along, none the wiser. Live and (hopefully) learn...

I guess I can relate. I was really fortunate to have a handful of experienced exp aviation guys befriend me around the time I bought my 1st homebuilt, so I never had to go it alone like that.

At least there should be lots of guys in NC that can help you now.

Charlie