Steve Brown

Well Known Member
My new Catto prop arrived yesterday so I'm going to try and get the FAA related stuff done today and tomorrow.

My operating limitation say that I need concurrence with local FSDO on test area, hours, etc.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to do an 8130-6

My limitations say:
"If the major change includes installing a different make and model of engine or propeller, the aircraft owner must fill out a revised 8130-6 to update....."

Use of the word "and" implies that both make & model must change to require the form. I'm only changing the "model", really just the pitch & dia.

Anyway, my conclusion is that based on my operating limitations I do not need the form. It may be a technicality, but "and" and "or" mean different things.

Anyone have any knowledge or insight on this?

Also, anyone do their paperwork though the SJC FSDO and know specifically who I should be talking to there?

Help appreciated!

Yes, complete the form and send it in. This issue of Kitplanes has a very good article on this very topic.

Ted Gauthier, DAR
Detroit, Mi.
RV-6

I read the article, but.........

It doesn't address this issue. The article states that the form must be completed when changing from fixed pitch to controllable pitch, and visa versa.

That is not what I am doing and think Mel's guidance is based on the operating limitations of that particular airplane. Mine are worded differently.

"If the major change includes installing a different make and model of engine or propeller, the aircraft owner must fill out a revised 8130-6 to update....."

Which is crux of my posted question.

From reading the article my conclusion is that this is a "major modification" because it will significantly effect flight characteristics, but that it does not require 8130-6 form because the plain English reading of my operating limitations do not require it. Also, I think common sense is that changing from one catto 3 blade prop to another catto 3 blade of different pitch & diameter is nowhere near as big a change as from fixed pitch to controllable (or visa-versa).

One angle on this is that I have no desire to be extra-legal on this issue. In cases where I think safety warrants it, I put extra margin on the FARs. In cases where I think the FARs are bureaucratic busy work, I'll just follow them to the minimum to stay legal.

Filling out this form will not add to safety in any way so if it is not a legal requirement, I don't want to do it.

Why?
1-I can't figure out how to fill out the $&@! form so I'd be back on VAF asking mundane questions about that.
2-My opinion is that giving the government more information than they are legally entitled to cannot lead to good things.

The 8130-6 is required but it must be submitted to your local FISDO. It can not be submitted directly to OKC.

This process is not that difficult. Contact your local FAA office and let them know you propose to make a major change in accordance with your operating limitations. Comply with the limitations with regard to going back to phase one flight testing and send the 8130-6 to the local FAA guys. That's all that's to it. The 8130-6 is endorced locally and sent on to OKC.

Steve,

You are correct. Changing the diameter and/or pitch is a major change and requires a new 5 hour phase I.

You do not need a new 8130-6. Chances are the diameter and pitch are not listed on the original 8130-6 anyway, in which case there would be no change.

The only reason you need to contact the FSDO is to get your flight test area approved.

You have the older phase 2 limitations that state you must notify the FSDO before performing a major alteration such as changing you propeller. If you have the local FSDO amend your Phase 2 limitations you can change the propeller and go back in Phase 1 fly off the required hours, sign it off, go straight back to Phase 2 without notifing the FSDO. Depending on how you limitations are written you many not want them amended. But the new limitation allows you fly over populated areas with the proper altitude.

The best way is an 8130-6 form, which the inspector will send to Oklahoma City and update the information in aircraft the aircraft registration data base.