lockeed

Well Known Member
I've been enjoying my 2010 RV-6A since May 2011 and I absolutely adore it in every aspects.

I have a O-360 // 180hp and a 70 X 82 Sterba wood prop that performs very well (pic). But I'd love to get a prop that match my paint scheme. So a white prop with blue and gold accents would be perfect.

I've seen a lot of debate going on on the internet as to the effectiveness of a 3 bladed prop vs 2 bladed props on RV's... I'd like to know if things have changed since the old threads and if there is a newcomer, or a manufacturer being considered the best of them all in terms of performance, and reliability.

Let me know what you guys think.

I don't mind either a 2 or 3 bladed prop, as long as it perform as good or better than mine and that I can paint or simply get it with the colors I need.

Thx!:D

15rhwzm.jpg

Last edited:
lol :D Thx Bret.

Metalic blue paint and Ibis white. Metalic pewter/gold accents.

Cheers.

If the Sterba prop performs well, why not just paint it to match the plane?

I have a friend who had his Aymar Demuth wood prop painted to match his plane, and he's now got more than 700 hours on it.

I tought about painting mine, but I'm afraid of how it will old up over time.

The main thing is, I'm afraid about balancing issues... Is this right or am I just crazy?

I think a wooden prop has more give than a metal or composite one, how to prevent the paint from craking?

I tought about painting mine, but I'm afraid of how it will old up over time.

The main thing is, I'm afraid about balancing issues... Is this right or am I just crazy?

I think a wooden prop has more give than a metal or composite one, how to prevent the paint from craking?

The varnish or whatever is already on there is paint. If it isn't cracking now, neither will pigmented paint.

As far as balancing goes, call a prop manufacturer. There are quite a few who would probably take your prop, strip it, and refinish it to your specifications. That's a much cheaper option than a new prop, partially because you won't need a new spinner.

Paint your Sterba

I say paint your Sterba. I offer custom painting to all my customers. Most choose to go with the all natural look but some choose colors to match the plane like you're wanting. I use base coat colors then a heavy solids high performance clear. The heavy solids hold up better to abuse. ALL props need refinishing if you fly enough! Just be sure you balance the prop after each coat of paint, if you apply it evenly the balance will be close. It will take some practice and patience is needed. If you have questions give me a call and I will walk you thru the process.

I used to hang around with the KR guys so I know the Sterba is a nice prop. I went with Craig Catto's three blade on my RV-7A and love it. Craig has made an awful lot of props for RV's and you will have to search for a long time to find anyone, that has one, that will say anything other than they love theirs.

n14se.jpg

I painted my plane with House of Kolor Kandy Apple Red, Black Pearl, Gold Pearl and White. The kandy is a translucent red that is sprayed over a gold base coat. I sent small bottles of each of the colors to Craig and he painted my prop to match my plane. When I got it, it was a perfect match.

Another guy asked about painting his wood prop a while back.

My painter friend said there are additives that will make the paint flex with out cracking as your prop flexes upon full power take off. I don't know what the additives are that he was referring to, although I can ask him if you wish to paint your own prop. Others here are very smart about many issues here, so you may get great answers.

Thx for the info guys. I don't really plan to paint the prop and balance it myself. As for the plane, a pro is the way to go I think ;)

Newtech, your plane looks great, and I'm sure that catto prop is great too. That's about the look I'm looking for...

Nickair, I'd still be curious to know what those flex agent additives are - if you can get an answer?

You can use the same plasticizer additives in the polyurethane paint that an auto body shop uses whenever they paint the flexible plastic parts on a car. My friend with the RV-4 and painted prop, just used the same Acry-Glo paint that was used on the rest of his plane, to get a matching white and red prop.

Re-Balancing a wood prop that's been repainted is usually just a matter of applying some additional flat black paint to the backside of whichever blade is too light, until you get the static balance back within acceptable tolerance.

dsc01590custom.jpg

The only problem with my 3 blade catto, is when you have to remove the lower cowl, you will always have one blade in the way. If you can deal with that, then you should be fine. To help with this problem, I made the nose gear leg slot a lot longer, so I could push the cowl back as you lower it.

Last edited:
If it will help your confidence in flexibility of paints, a lot of fabric covered tube&fabric planes are being painted with urethane now. (The fabric, not the tubes)

Charlie

Lockeed- Flex agent additive

Thx for the info guys. I don't really plan to paint the prop and balance it myself. As for the plane, a pro is the way to go I think ;)

Newtech, your plane looks great, and I'm sure that catto prop is great too. That's about the look I'm looking for...

Nickair, I'd still be curious to know what those flex agent additives are - if you can get an answer?

Lockeed,
called my 35 year professional paint friend. (He painted my RV6 cowling to perfection matching my plane) That is where I learned about the flex agent additive. As follows:

Super Sem Flex Agent: Sem #39728 Elastomeric
Works with: Acrylic Lacquer/ Acrylic Enamel/ Urethane

My friend recommended the Urethane for a prop paint job, and balance it.

I've seen a lot of debate going on on the internet as to the effectiveness of a 3 bladed prop vs 2 bladed props on RV's... I'd like to know if things have changed since the old threads and if there is a newcomer, or a manufacturer being considered the best of them all in terms of performance, and reliability.
Check out Craig Catto's new CNC three blade ...

Lockeed,
called my 35 year professional paint friend. (He painted my RV6 cowling to perfection matching my plane) That is where I learned about the flex agent additive. As follows:

Super Sem Flex Agent: Sem #39728 Elastomeric
Works with: Acrylic Lacquer/ Acrylic Enamel/ Urethane

My friend recommended the Urethane for a prop paint job, and balance it.

Thank you very much for that - I'll look into it and give the info to my painter also.

Cheers.