hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Anyone know where to get my prop balance checked near Montana?

Went out today and found some smooth air up high. I'm still learning about LOP, ROP, FF, RPM, but like the numbers so far. But I sense a slight vibration above 2450. Here was 178kts, 10.4gph 20" 2350rpm 120-140* ROP
Flying092.jpg

Bring the mixture down to 50 ROP...

...for more speed/economy.

BTW, the D-120 has a "Lean" mode.. Push the menu button and there should be a "Lean" button. Press it and when you get to peak EGT and continue beyond that, the numbers change to -12...-20....-30 and so on increase in value as you lean.

You will give up around 6 MPH at 50 LOP but hey, the economy will surprise you.

Best,

Last edited:
I'm working on figuring out how and where to run the engine. I've been running it very rich for break-in, but fouled a plug last week. Yesterday I finally started leaning a bit.

I haven't run WOT at lower altitudes due to turbulence. At 24" & 2450, I'm over 180kts but things have been rough around here. Here is a part throttle pic, before I found the "lean" page on the Dynon.
Flying080.jpg

Last edited:
There's gotta be someone near you, but since Casper's prop shop closed I,ve been using Precision Props in Boise (Brian). Jackson Hole also has two A.C.E.S. machines, but I don't know if they still have someone there that knows how to use them since Todd is gone. Call them and see.

BTW....

...the Lean mode does funny things when you reduce power for the descent phase of the flight, so I turn that mode off...and the way you do that, is to go back to the menu where "LEAN" shows and push that button again and it'll revert to the normal mode.

Regards,

Hydroguy, check with people who are smarter than me (there are at least four known who are) and consider leaning the engine a LOT during taxiing.

Part of run-up checklist is setting the mixture to ideal. Perhaps slightly rich if you think it prudent.

10.4 GPH at your altitude may be far too rich. Verify

Hey Brian,

Our chapter has a prop balancing setup in our "tool crib". I don't know what the arrangments are for someone from out of town or in another chapter, but I can find out for you if you like. Now that your plane is flying, you're not that far away. Perhaps you could come on over some Saturday for our monthly pancake breakfast, get the prop balanced afterwards, and be home in time for dinner.

Thanks Ron, I know I've got a lot to learn. I managed to foul a plug already running rich while trying to break-in the engine.

when I was at 10.4gph, I was showing 120-140*F ROP. Guess I better go flying tomorrow and do some more learning...I mean leaning.:D

Hey Brian,............Perhaps you could come on over some Saturday for our monthly pancake breakfast, get the prop balanced afterwards.........

Well I do like pancakes:D Might have to take you up on that, but might end up on the coast afterward.

Your CHTs are all fine so my GUESS is that you do not need to have a rich mixture for cooling. You should consider reading the Deakin articles on leaning.

Your CHTs are all fine so my GUESS is that you do not need to have a rich mixture for cooling. You should consider reading the Deakin articles on leaning.

Spent the morning reading some Deakin's Avweb articles. I'm learning about leaning...actually learning about proper place to run/not run my engine. Well all that reading means nothing if you can't visaulize things, so off to the airport I went.

Due to fiddling with the engine and looking outside, I didn't snap any pictures of the panel today. I need to download the data, but WOW what a difference. Running at 6500msl(~6200DA), I was 80*ROP 23" 2370rpm I was 183 KTAS. Still have some throttle left as I'm not WOT yet, I'm uncomfortable at these speeds with the turbulence down low. I'm hopeful to do some more testing when we get some calm days. I'm wondering what WOT, 25" 2500rpm will yield? Also, I did some LOP testing and getting 170kts around 8.5gph. It is hard to get much more than -60* LOP before I could feel the roughness start.
Later I zipped low over the lake to wave at some ice fishermen.
Flying111.jpg