dekagram

I'm looking to dynamically balance my CS prop in the New Orleans area, or neighboring city. Any referrals would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg
RV-7A

Prop Balance

It's about 90 miles away but Avtec at KIYA (Abbeville La) 337-892-0501 may do if for you. They balanced a Mooney prop for me and did a great job.

Don Broussard
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

You might say Dallas a neighboring city consideriing its only 2.3 hrs by RV :D

Thanks everyone for the input. After a few calls to the various recommended outfits, I was put in touch with Jim Jeffries A&P IA out of Brandon MS. He's a wealth of knowledge. After he went the extra mile in balancing my flywheel, I flew home in what felt like a brand new plane - smooooooth. Check out his website: http://jimjeffriesairworks.com/ -Very impressive.

Keep warm,
Greg

Prop Balance

Greg: Can you elaborate a little on the process? Was flywheel done separately? Do you have IPS values before and after? Thanks

Don Broussard
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Greg: Can you elaborate a little on the process? Was flywheel done separately? Do you have IPS values before and after? Thanks

Don Broussard
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress
The process appears to be both a science and an art. The flywheel is where the balancing takes place with the addition of the bolts and washers to achieve an IPS approaching zero. In my case, the first run-up to 2400 RPM produced an IPS .08 which Jim stated that an IPS of less than .1 is considered balanced. With seven more run-ups and multiple configurations of bolts and washers produced an IPS .01. That afternoon I flew back to New Orleans from Jackson with a plane that I had not flown before.