Walt

Well Known Member
Last year we had a GREAT time at the Badlands fly-In so needless to say we will be going again this year :D (Link to last years event)

Larry asked if I could bring my balance equipment this year as he wanted both his aircraft done and there is no one in the area to do it. So, it only makes sense that if anyone else would like this done at the fly-in I will be offering a special "Fly-In" Special for just $125! I will be designate Friday 9/9 as Prop balance day so plan on being there if you want to get this done.

So now you have another reason to attend the infamous "Badlands" fly-in besides the great folks, food, and flying.... don't miss it!

Last edited:
Here are the details as of now from the calendar on VAF:

From Larry Vetterman....

Badlands flyin is scheduled for Sept 8-11 at Hot Springs, SD (HSR). We are including an extra day as there are two additional events scheduled this year. Arrive Thurs. South of the Border buffet at one of our great restaurants. We will have the complete upper floor to ourselves.

Friday. bus trip to Mount Rushmore and Keystone, or Walt Aranow has agreed to bring his prop balancing machine, so if your engine has a little vibration, get it balanced by the best while you are here. We will have the grill fired up for burgers or hot dogs at the airport on Fri. Evening - Pulled pork meal along with your favorite beverage at Vetterman's hangar. Last year one attendee, whose name will not be mentioned did his best to empty the beer cooler, so this year we are prepared for him.

Saturday, fly the Black Hills, ie. Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Bear Butte, Wall (lunch at Wall) fly the Badlands and return to Hot Springs. Saturday evening meal at Allen Ranch -choice of steak or salmon. This was a huge success last year.

Transportation- There will be buses running all weekend long from the airport to the motels.

Motels I am working on the motel list and will post it shortly.

Reservations- Once the motel list is posted you can make your own reservations and just mention the FLYIN for the best rates. We are requesting that you get in touch with us so we can setup all the meals and all of the other behind the scene items to make this an enjoyable weekend . email [email protected] or [email protected] phone 605 745 5932 Vetterman Exhaust or 612 790 1051 Dennis Lewis (HSR fueling). One final note, all we need is a good weather weekend and you will have a great time here. The Black Hills area is beautiful this time of year.

Motel information: Stay USA (formerly the Holiday Inn Express where most of you have stayed in the past. Phone 605 745 4411. Rate includes hot breakfast, 2 hot tubs and new swimming pool. $75.00 to $69.95 Mention FLYIN Budget Host 605 745 3130. Family owned and operated no breakfast or pool , 2 people -2 beds. $45.00. Mention FLYIN.

Buses will pick you up at the motels and a bus schedule will be posted and included in the registration packet.
Registration costs: Includes transportation from the airport to the motels all weekend, hangar party and Saturday cook out at the Allen Ranch.
Arriving Thursday $80.00 per person $80 includes the mexican buffet thurs evening and the bus trip to Mount Rushmore on Fri. AM. Arriving Friday $50.00 per person, Arrivng Saturday $30.00 per person.

Larry Vetterman