WISC

Well Known Member
I have no experience at building an airplane. However, I am thinking of giving it a shot.
Do you think I should look at a project or start from scratch? I am told pre-punched is the way to go and don?t consider building without a pre-punched kit or project. Is that solid advice?
Thanks in advance.

I have no experience at building an airplane. However, I am thinking of giving it a shot.
Do you think I should look at a project or start from scratch? I am told pre-punched is the way to go and don?t consider building without a pre-punched kit or project. Is that solid advice?
Thanks in advance.

Pre-punched makes things a bit easier, but there are far more non pre-punched experimentals out flying than punched kits. Nothing in my RV-6 kit is pre-punched, it can be a challenge at times, but that is part of the fun.

Starting from a project can have it's pitfalls. If you can get and experienced builder to go with you to inspect the project, you should be ok.

Pre-punched makes things a bit easier, but there are far more non pre-punched experimentals out flying than punched kits. Nothing in my RV-6 kit is pre-punched, it can be a challenge at times, but that is part of the fun.

Starting from a project can have it's pitfalls. If you can get and experienced builder to go with you to inspect the project, you should be ok.

What Colin said and more... even if it is a pre-punched kit, it would be very wise to have an experienced builder look over the project with you. Just a set of screwed up spars can queer the deal Big Time! :)

No, that's safe advice but not necessarily solid. Before the mid 90's there was no pre-punched anything. Can a first time builder successfully build a non-prepunched kit, or heaven forbid, a plans built plane-- Absolutely. Just understand that the non-prepunched road is/can be more difficult and time consuming, especially for a first timer, but should not be considered a show stopper IMO. Bottom line is, what are you capable of doing and what's your level of commitment to learning new skills?

So, here's what you do. Buy the RV training project for $35 from Van's. Buy (or borrow) the Jeppesen Sheet Metal Handbook for $16:
http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Sheet-Metal-JS312633-Bonacci/dp/0891002960

Buy a small sheet of .025 or .032 2024 from Aircraft Spruce or any aluminum supplier (a 2'x2' sheet of .032 is $12 from Spruce) and perhaps a length of 3/4"X3/4" alum angle.

Then borrow some tools from, or visit a local builder (lots of builders are loathe to loan tools out but are more than willing to share in their shop), or your local EAA Chapter (many have tool cribs that loan out tools) and complete the Van's kit which will give you a taste of pre-punched construction. Then build one of parts that are an example out of the Jeppensen book. This will give you a taste for scratch built construction.

Then go with the project that uses the type of construction that you get the most enjoyment from.

As Stein would say, my $.02

I have no experience with the non pre-punched kits but I will tell ya, the pre-punched kits from Van's are really nice and very accurate. I always think to myself, if I had to drill all these holes it would be a lot more work. If you're ok with that, go for it, just know what you're getting into. For my money, it justs seems like unnecessary work if I have a pre-punch option available. As always, just my .02 cents.

If you've never built before & aren't at all familiar with proper construction technique, it might be easier to start with a new kit than someone's in-process project. Not being familiar with the project will make it a lot more difficult to determine if something was done right, and whether anything was missed during prior work.

FWIW,

Charlie