craigw

Hi,
I've run into a bit of a problem, and I'm sure some here will have experienced it, and I hope can give me some tips.

I'm in final negotiations to buy a partially completed project (90% done, 90% to go) in Rhode Island. I need to transport it to Georgia. So far the only insurance I've found (from Jennifer @ Nationair) that has a trailer endorsement requires the trailer be enclosed (EAA's project insurance does not cover transport). The plane will not fit in an enclosed trailer (wouldn't even fit in a tractor-trailer trailer (fuselage is 12' long and 13' wide)).

My local insurance agent that has my home policy knows of no rider that can be added to my homeowners to cover it.

At this point I'm thinking my only option is to tell the buyer I'll pay him as soon as we get the project into my hangar (He is going to help with the move, and I can't afford to self-insure it).

Ideas?

Thanks in advance! --Craig

Welcome to VAF!

Craig, welcome to VAF.

Sorry, no good recommendations for transport to give you, at least for something that is 12' by 13'.

By any chance are your dimensions a typo??

Only possibility I can think of is to build a rack that holds it on an angle, and you might get the height and width down to legal size.

Something like how they transport Unlimited Hydroplanes.

missbudmcc-lg.jpg

Is that the width of the horizontal stabilizer? If so, remove it.

I fit an RV7 fusalage and the wings side by side (by side), in a Penski moving truck. I'll see if I can find a picture.

I'd remove whatever it is that's making the fuselage 13' wide and hire someone like Tony Partain to move it.

Little speculation here

Is that the width of the horizontal stabilizer?

I'd remove whatever it is that's making the fuselage 13' wide

Methinks this is something other than an RV. If his dimensions are not a typo I suspect it way out of the box we ordinarily think in. Dyke delta comes to mind, or wooden/fiberglass plane with retracts --------or some kind of UFO:eek:

Anyway, whatever is it good luck with your transport, and keep the RV series in mind----:D

Only possibility I can think of is to build a rack that holds it on an angle, and you might get the height and width down to legal size.

Something like how they transport Unlimited Hydroplanes.

This is exactly how I want to transport it, but even on a rack it won't fit in an enclosed trailer.

Methinks this is something other than an RV.

We have a Winner! It's a Cozy IV. With the wings and canard removed it is 13' wide at the strakes (width of main spar).

Cozy%20Line%20Drawing8.jpg

...and keep the RV series in mind----:D

It's becoming more and more of an option each day! What's the eta to RV14 complete kit????

What's the eta to RV14 complete kit????

The factory guys talked about this at the homecoming, looks like a lot of the design work is done, but the bottle neck seems to be in writing the manuals and there was something about a slight problem that came up with the drop tests. Sorry I did not pay a lot of attention to what was said there, as I am not in the market for a 14.

Best would be to contact them. Or, maybe Scott or Joe will jump in here. Both of them frequent VAF.

The tailwheel version is for sure a go, I think that is where the drop test issue came up-----they also mentioned Mike Seager would get a 14TD to give transition training in.

Makes sense seeing how the RV-10 was never designed as a TD and the -14 is a derivative of that. The fuselage might need some beefier longhorns, etc. to handle the loads of a tailwheel mount and to distribute the loads in a drop test.

Don't know why that should hold up the -A model, though. Documentation to the level provided in the erector set kits is a major job including the graphics involved even though most can be spit out of the CAD model. They should offer a discount for the first builders willing to tackle them without the step-by-step instructions with the caveat they need to provide real-time written input into issues uncovered. But thinking about it without a complete set of drawings it would be like putting together a jigsaw puzzle without the finished picture to go by.

RB

We have a Winner! It's a Cozy IV. With the wings and canard removed it is 13' wide at the strakes (width of main spar).

Cozy%20Line%20Drawing8.jpg

Cozy's are often shipped on a rack, the turns it sideways (sans canard) like the hydro racer above.

If the front end is in the trailer, and the strakes out the back, its still an enclosed trailer... :cool:

Bob

Lots of Cozy MKIV's have been transported with the strakes on. I pulled the one I built on a flatbed trailer and hugged the shoulder to keep the pilot side strake out of the left lane. One guy over on this forum; http://forum.canardaviation.com/ picked his project up in the state of Washington IIRC and drove home all the way to NY with the strakes on. I don't see him on the member list any longer though. One option is as suggested,,,,tip it on its side and prop it up. Another method I have seen is to stand the fuselage upright,,,just like the shuttle when its ready to launch. You gotta have a bare firewall for that though. Here is a thread on moving a Cozy with the strakes on: http://forum.canardaviation.com/for...y-a-newby-could-ask/3832-width-at-the-strakes
I personally would not bother with trying to get transport insurance and would elect to do the transport myself.;)

For the record in case someone ends up here after searching Google for this issue:

I was not able to get insurance while it was being transported, and the seller agreed to self-insure (agreed to not be paid until safely transported to my location (he is going to pull the fuselage on a trailer, tilted sideways while I follow in a u-haul with wings and everything else)).

Thanks for the tips.