Skint

Well Known Member
I am into my project about 4 and a half years. The fuselage recently left my garage for its spacious hangar at Livermore Airport. I shall miss stepping on tiny rivets when I go out in the garage in my bare feet to get my underwear out of the dryer. Then of course, there is being awoken in the night by the sound of the compressor you foolishly forgot to unplug. The wings are still at home, one on the pool table, one in its rack in the garage. For some strange reason ( or blind eye) I considered that my worst expenses were behind me ( kinda like my last three wives). However I was so wrong.

I eagerly downloaded the appropriate forms from Vans for my 0-360 and prop knowing that there could be a delay of several months before the components arrived. Then I totted up my basic glass cockpit. Ouch.......

Well I do not have the cash ( kinda like Lehman Brothers) and my IRA is but a shadow of its former self, as is my hairline, but I have resources i.e. line of credit, credit cards etc. and I cannot stop now. But how to rationalize......

First, convince my supportive wife ( yes, number 4) that it's just like having a new car payment. I will keep my 1995 E-150 van ( ergonomically designed and fuel frugal) and instead of replacing it, I will use the potentially freed-up money to repay the money I need to get my RV7 in the air. She already has a decent car. I will call the aircraft " The Other Woman" and add some nice WW2 clip art of a curvaceous version of my wife on the nose ( I have a sign shop!). She liked that a lot.

Secondly, convince myself........ Well, I still have the forms from Vans in hand. The drool on them has dried. They are a little creased now but not as intimidating as they were and at least I do not have to deal with a pushy car salesman taking my money. Also, if you put your thumb over the last zero when you tally your numbers for the umpteenth time, it's not that bad!

Thirdly, sometimes you gotta make sacrifices. No more divorces, reduce consumption of wine, work longer hours, but most important in this time of great economic strife, we need to support our economy by investing in it! So **** the torpedoes, full steam ahead........well maybe after I have done my taxes......

Good luck to all

Tim Bennett

Yes sir, I had two plans:

1. Convince people to give me money.

2. Scrounge all the parts I could find and build on the cheap.

Plan 2 seems to be working better right now.

Too cool......

......our resident stand-up comedian and I'm still ROTFL!!! Thanks.

My local banker has always been very accomodating and holds both my Air Tractor and hangar paper. There's Nationair or Nationwide or something like that, and they'll gladly fund your finish-up needs, especially an RV. I'll try and dig 'em up.

Wife # 3 is a happy camper:).

Regards,

I'm trying to keep wife #2, I think the cost savings will pay for the airplane entirely!

Defer, defer, defer!

Tim,
I am also financially challanged! :p Rather than purchase an engine now, go to your local aircraft engine rebuilder and beg, borrow or steal the various components to build up a "dummy" engine. Most shops will be happy to give you red tagged (junk) parts from their shop. You can assemble a dummy engine from these parts to install on your RV project temporarily (if a year to 3 year stint is temporary).
You can use this dummy engine to install your cowl and all FWF stuff. Once all that is done, you can build or buy your actual engine. This will allow you to keep making progress, without going tens of thousands of dollars in the hole NOW. It will give you more time to:

A look for that "great deal on a used engine".
B Give ECI & Lycoming more time to improve their product
C Give Superior more time to find a "white knight" buyer
D Have a friend or relative drop dead and leave you an engine in their will (we can all dream, can't we? :rolleyes:)
E Finish reading BANK ROBBERY FOR DUMMIES (I'm still on chapter 4)

With a "just in time" plan for purchasing your engine, you will assure that your engine won't be out of warranty, or rust internally while it sits on the front of your project. It also won't be full of fiberglass dust. (At least that's what I tell myself!:D)
I've even done this with the prop. I was given a Hartzell with owner modified blade tips. This will work till it's time to buy the real thing, later.
I hope this helps (if not your economics, at least your sense of humor)
Charlie Kuss

The great advice mixed with typical pilot bravado makes VAF the great site that it is...

YOU GUYS KILL ME!

Oh and for money ideas... I personally think its bad to barrow money... I like the dummy motor idea... keep moving, perserve options and stay out of debt!

Tom