woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the rules for Experimental Home Built are the same as for certified aircraft concerning progressive conditional inspections? Do I have to file a plan with The FAA for approval? For me, it would be much easier to do our inspections over the course of the year rather than down the plane for a week or two at the end.

Ooooh. Now they KNOW you are doing a progressive. :eek:

Sent from my NSA monitored device.

Does anyone know if the rules for Experimental Home Built are the same as for certified aircraft concerning progressive conditional inspections? Do I have to file a plan with The FAA for approval? For me, it would be much easier to do our inspections over the course of the year rather than down the plane for a week or two at the end.

You will NOT in any way/shape/form get an approval for a progressive inspection on an experimental (but I would love to see the look on the guys face when you ask him)!

The requirement is one inspection and one signature per year. Most people take a weekend and do the whole airplane at once. Some take a week, and others drag it out for a month.... I'm certain plenty of people fool with their airplane often enough that it has morphed into a form of ongoing, progressive inspection and there are eyes on every part of the airplane at least once a year.

As long as the logbook entry is there and no part of the airplane has been unseen for more than 12 months, I think the moral and legal requirement has been met.

Last edited:
Modified Progressive

Traditional Progressive Inspection schedules involve on going maintenance throughout the year based on several factors. If this is what you are meaning, I don't think the FAA would buy into that.

However, I used the entire month of the month due to do my Conditional inspection. Kind of a progressive. I conducted it in phases so I would not have my plane out of service. So, I would take a couple of days and do the tail group. Next might be the wings or the FWF stuff. I generally save the internal work till last because it was the most cumbersome. At the end of the month when the Conditional checklist was complete, I made the necessary logbook entries.

I know several that do the same thing. Works great and spreads the process over a few weeks.

I am with Darwin and Sam.

Week one: wings and landing gear
Week two: Tail boom and tail feathers
Week three: FWF
Week four: the dreaded 10,000 screws and the seat pans/controls/everything else.

Each one is no more than a day by themselves.
Maybe, you will just get lucky and it is time to change the oil, time for FWF.