Paul K

Well Known Member
At coffee this morning, I sat down to a badly needed cup of Java and with pen and paper started to make a to-do list for the final completion of the RV7-A I have been working on for the last five and a half years. I reviewed the last list to see what still needed to be completed from that one and carried those items over to the "new" list. I then added all of the new stuff I could think of and relized that for the first time, my to-do list is less than a page long! Could this be the last list?

From the beginning, I used list to keep track of progress and as motivation as I scratched items off. I really felt good about finishing a list, jobs well done. About once a month or more frequent, I would make a new list and toss the old one. The new list would take the place of the old one on the inside of my shop door, held in place with magnets, pen hanging on a piece of string next to it ready to scratch off another item. This is how things got done.

On this mornings list, there are only 12 items! I guess it will take about 14hrs to complete them all and then add gas and turn the key. Or not!

As I type this, I realized there is another list I haven't even put to paper yet. It is the list of what I need to do to get myself ready. Stuff like getting a new flight review, current expires in two days. Also my medical is up for renewal next month, might as well get that taken care of now as well. And then including but not limited to; finish my transition training, update the DAR and get all the paperwork checked before the inspection, register the AC with the State, meet with our chapter flight review guy and polish up the test program, gather some eyes to look everything over, and a million other first flight things.

Well, I just answered my own question. There will never be a day without to-do list! I live by list :D

As a footnote, I wish I had kept all of the old list and compiled them in some type of binder or book. How fasinating it would be to see the progress reflected in these list.

Last edited:
Sounds like you can see a glint of light at the end of the tunnel. All I see is pitch darkness. I made a list the other day too and wrote it on my wing. What I need to do to finish my left wing. It's less than a page, but it is still an impressive list.

As of yesterday

Mel,

Here it is as of yesterday after finishing yesterdays to-do list. Before todays to-do list!

IMG_0460.JPG

Congratulations on making it to this point.
You are dead on correct that the end game is via your own task list, not anything in the provided documentation.

If you are like me, the list will grow a little, but if you are hanging around one page, it will probably stay there for a bit while ticking them off and writing a few more on.

I had a VERY hard time pulling myself away from the build to go fly and brush up the skills. Good luck to you. I had to do the same. All my currencies were out of date but they came back quickly.

Thanks Bill,

I have kept everything up and continue to fly quite a bit. Only it's in a Cardinal! Just a matter of timing that my currency of my medical and flight review are up at the same time that I am getting close to flying the RV :)

Mike, I didn't even notice the shadow! Great catch. The sun was getting low but it would be interesting wouldn't it?

I assure you, no new territory here, not that much of a experimenter! Conventional wings.

IMG_0461.JPG

Did you notice the rigging isn't set yet? It's on my to-do list. I had damaged the push rod in the left wing a few years ago and need to adjust it's length.

Last edited:
I'll finish up my canopy this week and start on the wiring and instrument panel, I've turned the corner from looking at the kit as a "someday going to be an airplane" project and now it's just "an airplane that needs this, and this, and that, that..."

That finishing list can get a little overwhelming, I just work on one piece at a time, and when I run out of stuff to work on I'll go fly the thing.

Greg,

Spot On! That's why I always tried to keep the list down to a manageable size that I could actually see progress on. One page really works well, limited to just one area of the project. Otherwise it can become overwhelming. Really feels good to see everything on the list get scratched off knowing that at least this part of the project is getting close to being done. Keep making those list!

Jarvis,

Thanks for the kind remark. Believe it or not, I really enjoyed painting it. But that's a whole other story!

My list is getting shorter by the week, but still have at least a year on the build.

I have a small spiral bound notebook and try to keep track of everything in one place. I had too many lists on various scraps of paper. I tried several "apps" on the phone and computer, but for me pencil and paper allows me more freedom to make little notes and diagrams.

In the notebook I have pages blocked out for things like canopy, engine, panel, cowling, propeller, firewall, interior, fairings, wheels, paint scheme ideas and the lengthy "things to buy" list.