AndyRV7

Well Known Member
I was wondering if there was any problem with building in a salt-air environment? I may have a shot at starting a build next year but it would be on the coast of Northern California (in Monterey Bay). Not a bad place to live, for sure, but would that be a drawback to the project? I am worried that the marine layer or just the salt air environment might make this a bad idea.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Beach House

Just keep your tools oiled. BoeShield T9 is your friend.

neal
3/4 mile from Navarre Beach surf...

My workshop is maybe 600 feet from the Indian River on Merritt Island, which is briny. The ocean is a mile or so across another very narrow barrier island. My steel tools will get rusty if left out, but I have no problems with the aluminum components. Steel parts, once I break them out, will show signs of rust if I don't prime them.

Thanks for the feedback. But doesn't this seem like a larger problem then? I wouldn't be so concerned about my tools. I am more worried about the plane, obviously. I can't see priming everything (or certainly not always fast enough to prevent the damage). And what about an electrical system ...all the contacts in the wiring and whatnot. And even just the instruments and avionics? If the tools are rusting, aren't you certain to pick up some damge in these other areas as well?

Thanks for the feedback. But doesn't this seem like a larger problem then? I wouldn't be so concerned about my tools. I am more worried about the plane, obviously. I can't see priming everything (or certainly not always fast enough to prevent the damage). And what about an electrical system ...all the contacts in the wiring and whatnot. And even just the instruments and avionics? If the tools are rusting, aren't you certain to pick up some damge in these other areas as well?

Andy,
I also live a block from the Atlantic Ocean. Aviation grade electrical wire is "tinned" (coated with a thin layer of solder over the copper strands) to prevent corrosion damage. Use aviation quality wire & connectors and you will be fine. I store my avionics in the A/C when not needed for fitting or wiring as a precaution. I also Alodined and epoxy primed all my parts prior to riveting. I'm a rather slow builder, yet had no issues with corrosion of the parts prior to etch, Alodine and priming. My wings took me over a year to build. They were raw until after all the deburring and dimpling. I had no problems.
The Central and Northern Pacific coastal areas do not seem to exhibit as much of a corrosion issue as we have here in SE Florida. I doubt that you'll have any problems. Enjoy that beautiful area of the state.
Charlie Kuss

Has anyone near the beach noticed their clecos rusting? I just started noticing this - a couple have started to gather some rust and won't close all the way...

I've lived over the road from the South Pacific / Southern Oceans for most of my life, and I'll agree that corrosion is a serious consideration. The coastal wind blows salt and sand into most everything. Indeed, I'd say we're essentially talking about a marine environment, sans the salt water immersion. Everything ferrous starts to rust, most of everything else corrodes in some way... It's a tough place for metals.

SteelMike, I'd discard those that are no longer closing, and start treating the remaining clecos the same way you treat your tools. Are some brands better than others in this regard?

To anyone else, if we can't prime everything on arrival, is alodining all of the aluminum components on arrival a sensible course of action when building in coastal locations?

I've lived over the road from the South Pacific / Southern Oceans for most of my life, and I'll agree that corrosion is a serious consideration. The coastal wind blows salt and sand into most everything. Indeed, I'd say we're essentially talking about a marine environment, sans the salt water immersion. Everything ferrous starts to rust, most of everything else corrodes in some way... It's a tough place for metals.

SteelMike, I'd discard those that are no longer closing, and start treating the remaining clecos the same way you treat your tools. Are some brands better than others in this regard?

To anyone else, if we can't prime everything on arrival, is alodining all of the aluminum components on arrival a sensible course of action when building in coastal locations?

The aluminum comes with a protective coating. It should be fine until you build it. You should alodine after you match drill and cut all parts. All our clecos started to rust. My garage is about 150' from the salt water marshes. Some tools started to rust also. Another thing that will screw up all parts and tools is pool chemicals. Keep them away from you plane.

Has anyone near the beach noticed their clecos rusting? I just started noticing this - a couple have started to gather some rust and won't close all the way...

Mike,
Yes, the high humidity here in South East Florida would cause the Clecos to rust. I keep them in sealed plastic containers when not in use. Once I spotted the least bit of rust on Clecos I would submerge them in a container full of motor oil to remove the rust. Leave them in the oil for about a week. Then take them out and lay them out on scrap cardboard to drain. Works great.
Charlie Kuss

Rusty Clecos....

I built my RV-8 about 30 feet from my backyard dock (on salty Clear Lake), and never had any corrosion problems until I moved everything to the airport, about 7 miles inland. I found that everything that was inside cabinets or tool-box drawers was fine - but I had some clecos on the workbench that rusted in a month. My rule is that I keep everything inside a container now, and that works great.

I had no trouble with aircraft parts corroding, and I constantly look for it!

Paul

Indicating Silica Gel Desiccant

I've been using Indicating Silica Gel to help prevent rusty tools. It absorbs moisture like the "Do not Eat Silica Gel" packets that come in shoeboxes. You can get a 5lb bag from Hobby Lobby for $12.99. Look in the flower section. It's used to dry flowers. I put it in small clear left-over containers with small holes (smaller than the gel) punched in the tops and then put the containers in my tool boxes. When the blue specs turn pink (about 6 weeks for my garage), just put the Gel in the oven at 250 for 30 minutes and it's good to use again. No problems with rust now. If it's too big for a toolbox (like my tablesaw), I use T-9 Boeshield.