Ingo Weise

I've got a question for those of you, using a Sioux air drill.

I recieved my air drill from Avery, and when I tried it the fist time, some grease came out of the front bearing.

Either the drill or the chuck (with key) seems to be out of balance. The tip of any drillbit I tried moves around about a millimeter (0.04 inches), but works fine in my electric drill. Has anyone of you had a problem with the Sioux drill?

I have another Problem with my full swivel air regulator, that I want to use with my rivet gun. When I move the gun around, the is some air leaking out of the swivel connection at the threaded portion that goes into the rivet gun.

Thank You.

You better ask directly from the Avery. I've got the Sioux from Avery as well but I would say that even with 12" drills the tip is not waving anything like 1 mm but much less so it sounds like yours is faulty. :(

same here

Hi Ingo,
I had the same problem with the air leak at the bottom. The factory had drilled the two angled holes at the bottom too close to one another and the c'bore had broken out in to the exhaust port.This caused the o'ring to leak I called the factory and they told me to send it back...and that they knew about this problem...They rebuilt my gun with a new casting and sent it back...I think they let me send it COD....As far as the other problem ?????? doesnt sound good at all though...I would assume that they would just replace your drill.
Jim
PS Mine came assembled with a keyless chuck assembled to the drill and the keyed chuck came in a bag...this must of been the work of planetools company though...I love the keyless chuck

Hi Ingo:

Guten tag!

Are you using the drill stops? I discovered a while back that the drill stops tend to make the drill bits spin off-center. I'm not sure if it's because I tighten the retaining 'stud' too tightly or what.

If it's not the drill stops, I would send the folks at Avery an e-mail or give them a call. They are great folks and will do whatever it takes to make it right.

Ingo:

On the Sioux air drills, you may ocassionally have some grease come out around the chuck (possibly due from over-greasing the planetary gears). Suggest you run the drill for a few minutes; put a towel or rag around it so you do not get grease on you. Wipe away any excess between the drill body & chuck (might need to repeat a few times); after a few minutes of run time the grease should stop coming out.

As to the run out of the drill, the chuck may be running off center due to being bumped or dropped. The chuck threads onto the motor shaft (3/8-16 right hand threads) and there is some clearance between the threads on the shaft & chuck -- if this clearance is all to one side it may cause the chuck / drills to run out of round. You might try removing the chuck and re-seating it to see if that trues it up (check the spacer between the chuck & drill, also). If that does not work return the drill to us and we will replace the chuck or send you a new drill.

Same on the air line swivel, if the leak is not at the threads into the air tool -- it could be a seal or "O" ring in the swivel. Return the swivel & we will replace.

You can contact me direct at [email protected] and we will take care both problems for you.

Regards; Bob Avery / Avery Tools

Problem solved!

On Friday I recieved a new air drill, and it works like expected.
It took quite a long time to solve my problem, but this was partly due to the long distance to germany.
The service from Bob Avery was good, every e-mail was answered imidiately. I would always buy from him again.