Alex

Well Known Member
My rivet puller doesn't seem to be working correctly. I have the Taylor pneumatic puller that came with the Cleaveland -12 kit.

If I use the nosepiece that fits the diameter of the mandrel of a LP4-3, then there is a lot of resistance putting the mandrel into the puller. It pulls the rivet fine and leaves a nice rivet, but I have to use pliers to remove the mandrel from the puller. If I use the same size mandrel on my hand puller, I have no problems.

If I use the next nosepiece up in size the mandrel goes in without any resistance, but the installed rivet is marred by the oversized hole on the nosepiece.

When I looked at the puller and the nosepieces, it appears that the initial spacing of the internal jaws is set by the internal length of the nosepiece. The larger diameter nosepieces extend further into the tool, and this apparently stops the forward movement of the jaws so that they don't clamp shut as much.

Is there some way to modify the puller to fix this so that I can use the correct nosepiece? I think I need to add length somehow to the threaded end of the nosepiece, or else perhaps I need to modify the jaws to give a bit more clearance.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nose piece

My rivet puller doesn't seem to be working correctly. I have the Taylor pneumatic puller that came with the Cleaveland -12 kit.

If I use the nosepiece that fits the diameter of the mandrel of a LP4-3, then there is a lot of resistance putting the mandrel into the puller. It pulls the rivet fine and leaves a nice rivet, but I have to use pliers to remove the mandrel from the puller. If I use the same size mandrel on my hand puller, I have no problems.

If I use the next nosepiece up in size the mandrel goes in without any resistance, but the installed rivet is marred by the oversized hole on the nosepiece.

When I looked at the puller and the nosepieces, it appears that the initial spacing of the internal jaws is set by the internal length of the nosepiece. The larger diameter nosepieces extend further into the tool, and this apparently stops the forward movement of the jaws so that they don't clamp shut as much.

Is there some way to modify the puller to fix this so that I can use the correct nosepiece? I think I need to add length somehow to the threaded end of the nosepiece, or else perhaps I need to modify the jaws to give a bit more clearance.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ron here. Have you called cleaveland tools. their pretty helpful. I have 4 different nose pieces in my kit. I too have a little marring on the rivet head. Sometimes i use my hand riveter. Now have you been putting in the required oil in the air intake at every use? You should. sometimes i forget and it doesn't work. Then its off with the hose at the riveter and 2-3 drops into the hole and put the hose back on. Make sure those drops of oil drain toward the gun gear or whatever grabs the mandrel. This all I can help with. Ron

Problem Solved!

It helps to read the instructions. Off in the lower right corner of the instruction sheet, there's this drawing with no associated text:

IMG_2702_small.jpg

It turns out my puller hadn't been set to the correct length at the factory. The jaws were set about 3/8" short of where they should be. I loosened the jam nut, adjusted the jaw length, and tightened everything back up again. Much better!

IMG_2701_small.jpg