AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,
I am building a second RV-8 from a quick build (First one was a slow build), I am installing main landing gear, under U-805-1 plate is two holes that I remember I installed two screw AN509-8R12 in my first RV-8. So I checked on my 8 and yes there is one screw at each hole. I have checked plans and manual and I cannot find any information about installing anything in that holes.

Did I make a mistake in my first plane or I am missing something now?

happy Flying!!!!!

Drawing 75

landinggearbolt.jpg

By airbuspilot2 at 2012-09-11

Last edited:
I will check the plans today, I think the answer is on the forward floor plan ,flush rivets or screws coming up from the bottom .

Drawing # 35

Drawing # 35 on my older set of plans shows "2X AN426AD4-9 FLUSH HEAD ON BOTTOM"

Last edited:
I will check the plans today, I think the answer is on the forward floor plan ,flush rivets or screws coming up from the bottom .

On a current DWG 67, they are AN509-8R12's (screws) with the flush head on the bottom. I installed them about a month ago, they help keep WD-822 in place. Seems like the QB should have them already installed.

David called it correctly. Another QB issue-most of the gear weldments are already bolted, but this one was skipped on mine as well as fellow builder Bill C. Wonder what else is lurking about on these QB's.

On a current DWG 67, they are AN509-8R12's (screws) with the flush head on the bottom. I installed them about a month ago, they help keep WD-822 in place. Seems like the QB should have them already installed.

Thank you!!! This is exactly what I did in my first slow build RV-8 but with this QB I didn't find the solution.

Bad thing is I just finish installing the landing gear and left the fuselage on the hangar waiting for the half roll tomorrow, but now I think I should remove the gear and install those 4 screws:mad:

Hi All,

I have a 2009 QB fuselage, and these holes in question - Under the outboard wear plates - Were not countersunk, meaning in order to to use countersunk screws I would have had to disassemble quite a bit of structure in order to countersink the parts enabling the installation of fasteners that would allow the outboard wear plates to sit flat.

I emailed Vans, and their advice was to leave the holes empty.

'The wear plates and gear tower structure will supply plenty of
reinforcement for the structure in this area so you should be fine to leave as-
is.'

I hope this helps!

Hugh

Countersinking.

David,

When you did the counter sinking for the #19 hole sin the gear towers, did you countersink the skin and the longeron together? Or did you countersink the longeron and then dimple the skin for the screws? The plans are not very clear here.

Thanks

Don

David,

When you did the counter sinking for the #19 hole sin the gear towers, did you countersink the skin and the longeron together? Or did you countersink the longeron and then dimple the skin for the screws? The plans are not very clear here.

Thanks

Don

Don,
Do not remember for sure how it was done - probably countersunk the skin until they were flush.